This Fruit and Cheese Ball is a delicious throwback to the 1970’s, and it’s an easy, sweet, creamy appetizer that both kids and adults love!
We came across this recipe a few months ago in my mother’s old recipe box, and as soon as I spotted the handwriting on the recipe card, I immediately thought of my Aunt Doris. Doris is a childhood friend of my mother’s, and they were such close friends that all of us kids called Doris and her husband Walt our “aunt” and “uncle” (and vice versa with their children and my mom and dad).
I still vividly remember visiting Doris’ house as a child, and all of us went crazy over this Fruit and Cheese Ball that she served to us! (So much so – she wrote down the recipe for my mom, and that is the same recipe card I now have.)
It’s a simple mix of cream cheese and fruit cocktail that has been flavored with vanilla pudding and orange juice. Before serving, the fruit and cheese ball is rolled in slivered almonds.
Fast forward to now – we decided to make this Fruit and Cheese Ball to serve at an ugly sweater party we hosted at our house over the Christmas holiday. This cheese ball was originally put on the ‘kids table’ but the parents at the party kept sneaking over for a taste – so we knew we had a winner!Print
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 3.4 ounce package instant French Vanilla pudding mix
- 1 14.5 ounce can fruit cocktail, thoroughly drained
- 1½ cups slivered almonds
- Your choice of crackers, for serving
- With a mixer, combine cream cheese, orange juice and pudding mix until well blended. Gently stir in drained fruit cocktail.
- Shape into two small or one large ball. Wrap the ball(s) in plastic wrap and place into a rounded bowl similar in size to the shape of your ball. Chill for several hours until firm.
- When ready to serve, place the almonds in a shallow bowl and carefully roll the fruit and cheese ball in the nuts to evenly coat. Place the ball on a serving platter, sprinkling more of the nuts as needed to coat the fruit and cheese.
- Serve with crackers.
You may also like: