We’re gearing up for a busy weekend – lots of yard work to do, and two birthday parties to attend – so quick and easy meals are on the menu!
Today’s Easy Italian Sausage and Potato Skillet is a delicious, simple meal that can be whipped up in just thirty minutes – perfect for those days when you don’t have a lot of time to cook!
This easy dinner is a classic flavor combination! Sweet Italian sausage and thick slices of sautéed onions and green bell pepper are tossed together in a skillet with wedges of crispy potatoes. The potatoes get some extra flavor (and that wonderful crispy crust) by being sautéed in butter and seasoned with garlic powder, oregano, seasoned salt and paprika.
Recipes like this Easy Italian Sausage and Potato Skillet are very forgiving – and not an exact science at all! So depending on the ingredients you have in your refrigerator – feel free to change things up a bit. You can use any variety of potato you have on hand, or if you prefer a hot Italian sausage instead of sweet – go for it! Have a red bell pepper in the refrigerator – use that instead of the green. And if you like other seasonings than what we listed in the recipe below, use what you love.
P.S. This Easy Italian Sausage and Potato Skillet is delicious for dinner – but any leftovers are also equally delicious served at breakfast alongside some eggs. Have a great weekend everyone!Print
- 1½ pounds any type potato (Russet, new red, yellow, all purpose, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds Italian sweet sausage, cut into thick slices on the bias
- 1 pound onion, sliced into thick slices
- 2 large green peppers, cut into thick strips
- ¼ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- In a large skillet with a tight fitting lid, fill half full of water.
- Peel potatoes (if using small new red potatoes, no need to peel) and cut into wedges about the same size as a steak fry. Place in water as you cut. Place pan on stove and bring to a boil, then lower to a medium boil and boil for five minutes. Potato wedges should still have a good bite. They will be cooked again later. With a strainer, remove to a plate. Discard water.
- Wipe out the pan and add the olive oil. Heat over medium high and add the sausage pieces. Brown on both sides, then reduce heat and continue to cook and turn until they are cooked through. Remove to a medium bowl.
- Add onions and peppers and sauté for about 8-10 minutes or until the peppers just start to lose their crunch. Add the stock and stir to loosen up any brown bits from the pan. Pour this mixture in the bowl with the sausages.
- Add butter to pan and add seasoned salt, garlic powder, oregano and paprika. Place drained partially cooked potatoes in butter mixture and toss lightly to coat both sides then cook until potatoes are browned and cooked through, turning occasionally to brown both sides.
- Add the sausage, peppers and onions back with the potatoes and stir lightly without breaking up the potatoes and serve.
You may also like: