Most weekday mornings we’re up and out the door fairly quickly – on our way to school or work, or other appointments. But I’m a real stickler about making sure that everyone eats breakfast before they leave! I’m a firm believer that breakfast IS the most important meal of the day – and I try to make it as balanced a meal as possible!
Our Breakfast Burritos are a delicious way to change up the usual morning breakfast routine – and still enjoy a nutritious meal on the go! Flour tortillas are filled with our Mexican pulled beef (see that recipe here), roasted peppers, scrambled eggs and a mix of cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses – a delicious and hearty combination that will keep you full and energized all the way until lunchtime!
Time permitting, you can assemble these breakfast burritos in the morning and heat them on a flat pan or griddle until golden brown. But – for a real time saver – you can assemble these breakfast burritos the night before and then simply microwave them in the morning to heat through. Wrapped in foil – these breakfast burritos are a delicious and portable breakfast on the go!Print
A Few Notes: Cooking time does not include the time it takes to prepare the pulled beef or the roasted peppers. If you are making these burritos in the morning, it can be cooked and assembled without further reheating. If you make this the night before, you will need to microwave the beef and peppers and cook the eggs before assembling. Alternately, you can assemble and roll the burrito the night before and just microwave in the morning. (This is for people who are REALLY in a hurry). Also note: If you heat up the ingredients, make the burrito and wait a while to eat, the scrambled eggs will give up some liquid and the burrito will get soggy. So we suggest that you don’t heat the burritos until you are ready to eat – then once hot, eat immediately.
- 4 7-inch flour tortilla shells
- 8 ounces pulled Mexican beef (see recipe here)
- 8-12 strips roasted peppers (homemade or if using jarred, well-drained)
- 4 eggs
- 1/8 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup shredded jack cheese
- Place the tortillas out on your counter, heat the shredded beef, heat the peppers and have the cheese shredded before starting the eggs.
- Mix eggs and milk until completely beaten.
- In a medium nonstick pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add eggs and cook until scrambled.
- On each tortilla, divide the cheese, eggs, peppers and cooked beef and roll. From this point, its up to you how you go forward. We heated a flat pan and browned them for about a minute on both sides, wrapped them in foil and ate them on the run, peeling back the foil until it was gone. You can also just eat as-is without browning or wrap it up and microwave when you get to work.
- However you decide to prepare and eat, the result will be a delicious mix of flavors and textures.
You may also like: