I know…I know…why mess with something as simple and as perfect as a BLT sandwich? Well – sometimes (as the saying goes) necessity is the mother of invention!
This BLT Crostini with Boursin Cheese came about from ingredients we had on hand and wanted to use up! We had a number of leftover cherry and grape tomatoes that really needed to be eaten soon, as well as some bacon, plus some Boursin cheese that was leftover from a recent party.
So – we decided to get a little creative and the idea for this delicious BLT Crostini with Boursin Cheese came to light! Toasted slices of French bread are slathered in a rich tomato and boursin cheese mixture, then topped with shredded lettuce and slices of bacon – plus another dollop of that yummy Boursin cheese and tomato mixture.
This looks very fancy – and definitely would make a great appetizer for your next party – but it’s very simple to make! In fact, please don’t be put off at all by the prep and cook times listed in this recipe. We roasted the tomatoes to give them a richer and more intense flavor – but it’s a simple process (the oven does all the work!) that can be done ahead of time.Print
- 1 pound bacon
- 3 cups mixed red cherry or red grape and sun glow orange cherry tomatoes cut in half (or your own variety mix)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing the bread
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Few grinds black pepper
- 1 cup Boursin cheese (we used the original garlic and herb flavor)
- 10–12 sliced French bread cut on the bias
- 3 cups crisp Romaine lettuce leaves, sliced in a chiffonade (roll the leaves up together and slice thin strips from one end of the roll to the other)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On two parchment lined sheet pans, lay out the bacon and cook in oven until crisp, about 20 minutes rotating pans half way through. Drain bacon on paper towels and reserve one tablespoon of bacon fat. Leave one pan for the tomatoes.
- Lower oven to 300 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix tomato halves, one tablespoon bacon fat, one tablespoon of olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour onto one of the sheet pans that you used to cook bacon.
- Roast tomatoes for one hour. Remove and turn and roast for another hour or until the tomatoes start to shrivel and liquid is mostly gone. (But not burned so watch for the last 30 minutes)
- Add hot cooked tomatoes back to small bowl and add in Boursin cheese, stirring to combine. Refrigerate this mixture for 30 minutes.
- When ready to assemble, preheat oven to 400 degrees and lay bread slices on sheet pans. Brush a small amount of olive oil on bread and place in oven just long enough to toast the bread.
- Remove from oven and divide tomato cheese spread between the slices (reserve a small amount to garnish the top of each one). Divide lettuce between each and top with two crisp slices of bacon.
- Finish by spooning a small dollop of the cheese spread on top of each and serve.
You may also like: