This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Blondies are simple bar cookies with white chocolate chips and nuts, in a rich, buttery base.
What are Blondies?
Blondies are sometimes referred to as brownies without the chocolate. But don’t worry – these rich, buttery bar cookies are so good, you won’t miss the cocoa one bit!
Don’t be fooled by the simple ingredients in this recipe – butter, brown sugar, vanilla, white chocolate chips, and nuts all work wonderfully together – giving these cookie bars a deep, almost caramel-like flavor in every bite.
Why you’ll love Blondies
- This sweet, buttery bar cookie recipe is very versatile – you can swap in other kinds of chocolate, nuts, or even coconut if you’d like.
- These couldn’t be any easier to make. Just mix up the batter, stir in the chocolate and nuts, and bake.
- Our recipe makes a small batch, so it’s perfect for anytime your sweet tooth is craving a little treat.
Key Ingredients & Substitutions
- Butter – We always bake with unsalted butter so we can control how much salt to add to the recipe.
- Sugar – Both brown sugar and white granulated sugar are used in this recipe. The brown sugar really adds a deep, sweetness to the base that you wouldn’t achieve with just the granulated sugar.
- Vanilla Extract – Some other blondies include almond extract – and that would be delicious – but we like a vanilla flavor in the buttery base.
- All-purpose flour
- Corn Starch – Adding corn starch to the batter helps give these bars a chewier texture.
- Baking powder
- White Chocolate Chips – To keep with the “blonde” theme, we typically add white chocolate chips to our blondies. But you can use semi-sweet, dark chocolate, or butterscotch chips instead if you prefer.
- Chopped Pecans – We like the mild flavor of pecans in this recipe, but walnuts, almonds, macadamia nuts, or any other variety can be swapped in.
- Some Blondies recipes include shredded coconut in the base. You can add that in place of (or in addition to) the nuts if you’d like.
Special Tools Needed
- Mixer – We used a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, but you can also use a hand mixer with large mixing bowl.
- Bowl – To combine the dry ingredients
- Large, firm spatula like this
- 8X8-inch baking pan – a 9×9-inch pan can also be used. It will give you slightly flatter bars. If you want to make a 9×13-inch pan, double the recipe.
- Parchment paper – to line the pan
- Non-stick cooking spray
How do I make Blondies?
- Beat butter and both sugars until light and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla.
- Blend together flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the batter (mixing on low speed) until evenly combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and chopped pecans by hand with the spatula.
- Spread into an 8X8-inch pan that has been lined with double parchment paper strips (one in each direction) and sprayed with non-stick cooking pan spray
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, then cool.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Tips & Tricks
- Use a wet offset spatula to smooth the top out before baking. The result will be a smooth even surface that bakes up with a nice shiny top.
- If the edges of your Blondies start to get too dark while baking, wrap the bottom and sides of the pan in foil with shiny side facing out and continue baking.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I make Blondies ahead of time? Yes, mix the batter earlier in the day and spread into the pan. Refrigerate until ready to bake – but be sure to bring back to back room temperature before baking to ensure even baking.
- How do I store leftovers? Store at room temperature for up to two days, or in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Can I freeze blondies? Yes, but we suggest that you individually wrap each square so they stay fresh and don’t get freezer burn.
Click here for more delicious Dessert recipes!
1 1/2 sticks softened butter (3/4 cup)
3/4 cup plus two tablespoons brown sugar (14 tablespoons total)
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 whole large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup white chocolate morsels
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray an 8X8 baking pan with kitchen pan spray. Cut two pieces of parchment the width of the pan bottom and place one into the pan, letting ends fold over. Spray that and do the same for the second piece and spray that as well. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter with both sugars until creamy, about two minutes, scraping once or twice.
With mixer running, add one egg at a time and mix completely before adding the second egg. Add vanilla and mix, scrape and mix again until creamy, about two more minutes.
In a separate bowl, whisk flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt.
With mixer running on low, slowly add the dry to the wet to incorporate.
Scrape the paddle and the bowl and mix again.
Remove bowl and fold the white chocolate chips and the chopped pecans into the batter.
Spread the batter into the pan, pressing into all corners. The batter will be thick.
Wet a small offset spatula and smooth the top, wetting the spatula as you go. The top of the batter should be flat and even with a slight wet glisten. This will help produce even blondies with a smooth glistened top once baked.
Bake for 25 minutes and check to see if the sides are getting too dark. If they are, wrap the pan bottom and sides in foil with shiny side facing out and continue baking until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Total baking time will be between 30-35 minutes. Ours took exactly 33 minutes.
Let cool on a rack then lift the blondies out using the parchment paper sling to lift and set on a cutting board and remove the parchment.
Cut into either 3X3 or 4X4 to yield 9 or 16 pieces. We cut ours into 3X3 but since these are so rich, felt that a 4X4 may have been better.
Store covered at room temperature for up to three days.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.