This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cream Cheese Brownies have fudgy, rich chocolate with swirls of sweet cream cheese.
As if your favorite brownies couldn’t get any better…allow me to introduce you to these ridiculously good Cream Cheese Brownies!
We took our favorite, easy one-bowl brownie recipe and added dollops of sweetened, whipped cream cheese on top. Before baking, we swirled the soft cream cheese mixture into the brownie batter – creating that eye-catching brown and white decorative effect.
These Cream Cheese Brownies bake up rich and fudgy in the middle, and each bite includes a taste of creamy cheesecake too!
Why You’ll Love Cream Cheese Brownies
- This recipe combines two favorite desserts – brownies and cheesecake – into one decadent and delicious dessert!
- The rich cocoa chocolate and the sweetened cream cheese are a flavor match made in heaven.
- You can serve these brownies warm from the oven or cooled for later – either way is fantastic!
What is Dutch process cocoa?
Dutch process cocoa is also sometimes referred to as “European processed” or “alkalized” cocoa. It has a smoother, mellow flavor and a darker color than a natural cocoa powder. Before processing, the “Dutched” cocoa beans are rinsed in a solution that neutralizes the alkalinity – resulting in a smoother, richer flavor.
Key ingredients and Substitutions
- Chocolate – Start with an unsweetened, 100% cocoa dark chocolate specifically designed for use in baking. In our recipe today, we used Baker’s brand chocolate which you can find this at most supermarkets in the baking aisle, or order it here. If you want an even more decadent option, look for Ghiardelli’s 100% cacao unsweetened baking chocolate.
- Cocoa Powder – We suggest a Dutch processed baking cocoa, such as Rodelle brand, for the best flavor. A natural, supermarket brand like Hershey’s is also good and perfectly acceptable – but the Dutch processed will give these brownies deeper and richer flavor.
- Cream Cheese – Don’t skimp on a lower fat cream cheese – get the original, full-fat variety for the best cheesecake texture.
Special supplies needed
- 9 X 13-inch baking pan
- Large microwave-safe bowl
- Sifter or fine mesh sieve
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
How do I make Cream Cheese Brownies?
- Prepare pan by spraying with non-stick spray and laying down a parchment paper sling.
- Melt chocolate squares and butter in the large microwave-safe bowl.
- Stir in sugar.
- Beat eggs with vanilla in a separate small bowl, then whisk into the chocolate mixture.
- Sift flour and cocoa powder together, then stir into the chocolate using a spatula or wooden spoon. Mix well but don’t over mix.
- Spread brownie batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Beat cream cheese then mix in sugar, egg white and vanilla until smooth.
- Dollop the cream cheese mixture over the brownie batter surface. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to swirl the cream cheese to make a decorative pattern on top of the brownies.
- Bake then cool in the pan. (You could cool in the refrigerator until needed then cut when ready)
- After cooling, lift the brownies out of the pan using the parchment paper handles.
- Cut and serve.
Chef’s Tip – For easy removal and cutting, make a parchment paper sling by laying strips of parchment paper in the baking pan – lengthwise and widthwise. Be sure to leave the papers long enough that they will be higher than the side of the pan on all sides. Once the brownies are baked, use the paper ends to lift the brownies out without cracking or breaking the surface.
Frequently asked Questions
Can I make Cream Cheese Brownies ahead of time? Yes. We actually made ours the day before, cooled in the refrigerator, then cut when we were ready to serve
How do I store leftovers? These brownies should be kept refrigerated due to the cream cheese in them. Wrap well and they should last up to a week (if they aren’t eaten by then).
How do I reheat leftovers? If you’d like, you can zap the brownies in the microwave for a just few seconds to warm through and soften the cream cheese.
Can I freeze? Yes, wrap tightly, placing parchment paper between the layers. Keep in the freezer for up to three months.
You might enjoy these other brownies recipes:
- Hazelnut Brownies
- Chocolate Avocado Brownie Bites
- Zucchini Brownies
- Mexican Brownies
- Brownie Sundae with Bailey’s Sauce
4 ounce package Baker’s brand unsweetened chocolate made from 100% cocoa
3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
2 cups granulated sugar
3 whole eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Dutch processed baking cocoa
8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg white
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan or dish with kitchen pan spray then place a parchment sheet over the middle with the ends folded over the sides.
Cut another piece of parchment to fit going in the opposite direction and again, spray the entire surface again with kitchen pan spray. Set the pan aside for later.
In a large microwave safe bowl, place Baker’s chocolate squares and the butter and microwave for one minute covered then stir. Microwave for 30 more seconds and stir. Then for 15-30 more seconds until the chocolate has melted. Stir once more.
Add granulated sugar and whisk until mixed in.
Add eggs and vanilla and whisk to mix in.
Sift flour and cocoa and then whisk that in.
Scrape batter into the prepared pan and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, whisk cream cheese until very soft and creamy, about two minutes on medium high.
Add the sugar and beat to combine.
Scrape then add the vanilla and egg white and beat to combine. Scrape and beat again.
Use a soup spoon and dollop the top of the brownie surface with the cream cheese mixture.
Use the handle of a wooden spoon and swirl the surface.
Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (Check at 30 minutes then continue baking until done)
Cool on a rack in the pan until completely cool.
Lift out by the parchment handles, cut on a cutting board into 12 pieces (4X3) and serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.