This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
With St. Patrick’s Day just a week away – this Beef and Guinness Casserole with Noodles is a delicious, hearty alternative to the traditional boiled dinner that many people prepare to celebrate the holiday!
This wonderful casserole gets much of its flavor from Guinness – the dark, dry Irish stout that was first introduced in 1759 and is known worldwide. It has a distinctive tang and an almost burnt flavor (from roasted unmalted barley) and according to Wikipedia, it’s the best-selling alcoholic beverage in Ireland.
Chunks of beef (we used a chuck roast) are marinated overnight in a combination of Guinness, brown sugar, dried thyme and bay leaves. Then that same marinade is used to braise the beef plus some vegetables for hours in the oven until fork tender!
After the beef and vegetables were cooked, we made a delicious, rich gravy from the reduced liquids, then served it family-style over cooked egg noodles.
This Beef and Guinness Casserole with Noodles is so delicious, it’s sure to become a new St. Patrick’s Day tradition in your family!
We love seeing what you made! Tag us on Instagram at @afamilyfeast or hashtag #afamilyfeast so we can see your creations!
Beef and Guinness Casserole with Noodles
- 2 pounds chuck roast, cut into eight pieces
- 1 bottle Guinness
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups onion, large dice
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon gravy seasoning, such as Kitchen Bouquet
- 8 ounces dry egg noodles (we used the dumpling size)
- In a gallon zipper seal bag, place beef, beer, brown sugar, thyme and bay. Seal and marinate overnight.
- Three hours before dinner, preheat oven to 325 degrees and in a 2 quart casserole dish, place mixture from bag including all liquid, garlic, onions and carrots. Mix to combine.
- Cover with parchment and foil and cook for three hours.
- While beef is cooking, in a small bowl, mix butter, flour, mustard powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- After three hours remove beef from oven.
- Cook noodles according to package directions while making gravy.
- Place a strainer over a medium sauce pan and pour beef liquid to drain into pan. Place solids back in casserole dish. Heat beef liquid to hot. Microwave butter and flour mixture, also to hot (necessary to avoid lumps).
- With a wire whip, add hot butter and flour mixture to hot liquid and stir to combine to make the gravy. Add gravy seasoning and stir.
- Place strainer back over dish with meat and pour sauce through strainer back over meat and stir to mix in.
- Serve in a family-style bowl over the cooked noodles.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
This recipe calls for the beef to marinate overnight, so please plan accordingly.
You may also like:
Slow Cooker Barbecue Beef Brisket
Leave a Comment