This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Asparagus Lemon Risotto is a summery version of one of our all-time favorite dishes – risotto! We’re always experimenting with our basic risotto recipe, swapping in different vegetables and flavors depending on the season.
This time around, we’ve added the classic pairing of asparagus and lemon – two ingredients that are delicious together on their own – and when combined in a risotto, the result is fresh and fantastic flavor!
One thing to point out as you make this recipe – please don’t overcook your asparagus! You really want the asparagus to be tender but not mushy! But don’t worry – just cook the asparagus ahead of time following our Perfect Asparagus recipe (it’s easy!), then stir the asparagus into the risotto right before serving.
This asparagus lemon risotto is hearty enough to be a meatless meal on its own – or it’s delicious served alongside some grilled chicken or fish. It’s my idea of summertime meal perfection!
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cooked following our Perfect Asparagus recipe
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (we used a chardonnay)
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Juice and zest from one large lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional lemon zest, for garnish (optional)
- Cook the asparagus following our Perfect Asparagus recipe. Once the asparagus is cooled and drained, cut into two-inch pieces. Set aside.
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and olive oil together over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the Arborio rice, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes until the rice is just starting to turn lightly golden.
- Quickly pour in the white wine and allow the liquid to boil and be absorbed into the rice. Then pour in ¼ cup of vegetable stock to the rice, stirring constantly. (If necessary, adjust the heat under the pot – you want a medium simmer so the rice and stock cook together.) Add more stock ¼ cup at a time – adding more just as most but not all of the liquid is absorbed before adding in more stock.)
- Cook the rice and stock together in this manner for approximately 25 minutes or so – until the rice is tender but not mushy. Turn the heat off when the liquid is mostly absorbed, but not completely and stir in the Parmesan cheese, asparagus and lemon juice and zest. Stir to combine and add salt and pepper to taste. Remove the pan from the heat and cover – let sit for 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Serve with additional lemon zest on the top if desired.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: