This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large Granny Smith apples
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup currants
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon 5-spice powder
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg beaten with a teaspoon of water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Melt butter in a medium non-stick sauce pan then remove from the heat and bring to your counter.
- Peel and core each apple one at a time and dice into small to medium dice. As you dice, add to the butter and sprinkle in some vinegar and stir. Repeat for the other two apples until all the vinegar is in.
- Add water, flour, sugar, currants, coconut and 5-spice powder and return to the stove and cook about five minutes over medium to medium high. The apples should be just getting soft but still a little crunchy. Cool mixture by placing in the refrigerator. This step can be done well in advance of filling the egg rolls.
- Keep the pile of egg roll wrappers covered while you fill and roll.
- Place one wrapper on your counter with one corner facing you.
- Divide the filling into eight and place one portion in the front third of the wrapper spreading it from left to right but not all the way to the end. Lift the corner near you and roll away tucking the tip into the filling.
- With a finger tip, rub egg mixture along exposed sides all the way to where the roll is folded over.
- Grab the left and right corners and fold in towards the center while rolling the entire egg roll away from you finally ending seam down. Repeat for each eggroll and place on a plate, covering with a towel as you roll.
- Heat oil in a deep pan (deep enough to cover submerged egg roll) to 350 degrees F.
- With tongs or a spider, place half the eggrolls into the hot oil and cook for about three minutes turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. Repeat for last four after oil has returned to 350 degrees F.
- To make the dip, mix all three ingredients and serve with the fried egg rolls.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Cranberry Apple Egg Rolls