Apple Cranberry Egg Rolls are full of delicious Fall flavors in a crispy egg roll wrapper!
Ever since we made these two incredible egg roll recipes (here and here), my husband Jack and I have been thinking up all sorts of different egg roll flavor combinations! And while our recipe brainstorming has been mostly savory options – over on Pinterest, I’ve seen some incredibly delicious-looking sweet desserts made in the form of egg rolls too!
So with a refrigerator drawer full of apples and cranberries – and a brand new deep fryer we’ve been dying to test out – we decided to make these Apple Cranberry Egg Rolls. And – wow – are they delicious!
The Apple Cranberry Egg Rolls are reminiscent of the fried apple pies that they used to serve at McDonald’s when I was a kid. (Do you remember those?) But with fresh cranberries added to the filling – the tart cranberries against the sweet apple filling is a wonderful contrasting flavor! A simple sprinkle of powdered sugar on top just before serving finishes these egg rolls perfectly.
I have to stay – these Apple Cranberry Egg Rolls are addictively good, and Jack and I devoured an entire plate ourselves!
And while we cooked these with a deep fryer like this one – you can fry these up with some oil in a deep pan and see equally as delicious results! (In fact, our recipe is written assuming that you will cook these on the stove top).
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.Print
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 Gala apples
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 8 eggroll wrappers
- 1 egg beaten with a teaspoon of water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Melt butter in a medium non-stick sauce pan then remove from the heat and bring to your counter.
- Peel and core each apple one at a time and dice into small to medium dice. As you dice, add to the butter and sprinkle in some lemon juice and stir. Repeat for the other three apples until all the lemon juice is in.
- Add water, flour, sugar, cinnamon and cranberries and return to the stove and cook about five minutes over medium to medium high. The apples should be just getting soft but still a little crunchy. Cool mixture by placing in the refrigerator. This step can be done well in advance of filling the eggrolls.
- Keep the pile of eggroll wrappers covered while you fill and roll.
- Place one wrapper on your counter with one corner facing you.
- Divide the filling into eight and place one portion in the front third of the wrapper spreading it from left to right but not all the way to the end. Lift the corner near you and roll away tucking the tip into the filling.
- With a fingertip, rub egg mixture along exposed sides all the way to where the roll is folded over.
- Grab the left and right corners and fold in towards the center while rolling the entire egg roll away from you finally ending seam down. Repeat for each eggroll and place on a plate, covering with a towel as you roll.
- Heat oil in a deep pan (deep enough to cover submerged egg roll) to 350 degrees F (or you can use a deep fryer like this one.)
- With tongs or a spider, place half the eggrolls into the hot oil and cook for about three minutes turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. Repeat for last four after oil has returned to 350 degrees F.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
You may also like: