This Thai Corn Salad is simply fantastic, and it is my new summer salad favorite!
Fresh corn kernels are mixed with a edamame, slices of red bell pepper, jalapeño, scallions, red onion, bean sprouts and lightly tossed with a dressing made from coconut milk, lime juice, red curry paste, and fresh garlic, ginger and jalapeño, plus other spices and seasonings. Just before serving, this crazy-good salad is garnished with some roasted peanuts and salted corn nuts for crunch, and some fresh chopped cilantro for bright fresh flavor.
(Whatever you do – don’t leave out the corn nuts! They add a perfect, contrasting salty crunch to the fresh vegetables in this salad!)
One bite into this Thai Corn Salad and your taste buds will be singing! It packs up into the perfect portable lunch – or you can serve it alongside grilled chicken or fish for a light Thai-inspired summer side dish.
This Thai Corn Salad is a recipe creation of my husband Jack’s – who told me he was dreaming about making this salad one night. If more recipes like this come to him in his dreams – they are definitely in the sweet dreams category!
Thai Corn Salad
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6-8 servings
For the Dressing
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoon fresh garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno (more if you like it hot)
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
For the Salad
- 4 ears fresh corn cut from cob, uncooked
- 1 large sweet red bell pepper cut into small strips
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno (more if you like it hot)
- ¼ cup scallions sliced on the bias, tops and bottoms
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced into quarter rounds
- 1 cup shelled and cooked edamame (most markets sell this fresh in plastic tubs)
- 7-8 ounce package mung bean sprouts
- ½ cup shelled roasted peanuts
- 1 cup toasted salted corn nuts, divided
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, leaves removed from stems
- Open can of coconut milk from the bottom so that the liquid is on top and fat on bottom (this also makes it easier to remove from can). Pour contents into a small sauce pan and just heat to blend the fat back into the liquid. Set aside one cup.
- In a blender, place all dressing ingredients except coconut milk and peanut oil. Puree until smooth and with motor running, slowly add coconut milk then peanut oil. Set aside. The finished dressing will be about 1 ¼ cups.
- In a large bowl, place all salad ingredients except peanuts and corn nuts.
- At this point, you could prep ahead and refrigerate the salad and dressing then pull close to serving.
- When ready to serve, mix dressing into salad with peanuts and half the corn nuts. Toss and top bowl with additional corn nuts. (The corn nuts will not stay crunchy so add at the last minute).
You may also like: