We’re back today with another delicious recipe using our versatile Béchamel sauce from our Sunday Cooking Lesson earlier this week!
Today’s recipe for White Lasagna Chicken Rollups is really what we like to call an “A.I” recipe – short for Available Ingredients we already had in the kitchen and refrigerator!
We had some leftover grilled chicken from a weekend barbecue, dry lasagna noodles in the cabinet, fresh baby spinach that really needed to be used up, a drawer full of mozzarella cheese sticks – also leftover from the weekend barbecue, and some prosciutto leftover from another recipe.
So I had the idea of making these White Lasagna Chicken Rollups – and they were so good we decided to share the recipe here with all of you!
This is a dish the entire family will love – creamy, cheesy and filling and the salty prosciutto is a wonderful contrast of flavor against the chicken, cheese and spinach. Enjoy!
Interested in more chicken recipes? Print
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- 12 dry lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ¼ pound prosciutto, diced
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 pint whole milk ricotta (a 15-ounce container is enough if that is all you can find at the supermarket)
- 1 whole egg
- ¼ cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ½ cups Béchamel sauce divided, see recipe here
- 2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ pound cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the lasagna noodles until they are pliable but still firm. They will cook further in the oven so you just need to get them soft enough to fill and roll. Cool and set aside, keeping them moist so they don’t stick.
- In a large sauté pan over medium high, heat olive oil and cook onions and garlic for two minutes. Add prosciutto and cook for one more minute. Add spinach and cook just until wilted, about another minute. Remove from heat.
- In a medium to large bowl, place ricotta cheese, the egg, parsley, Parmesan, ½ cup of the Béchamel sauce, one cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese, the chopped chicken meat, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add cooked spinach mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour one cup of Béchamel sauce into the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan or glass dish.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Take each strip of lasagna noodle and place ½ cup of filling along center of strip. Then fold each side over. With a spatula, remove filled roll from your counter to the pan laying them in a 3×4 pattern for a total of 12.
- Pour the remaining 1½ cups of Béchamel sauce over the tops and sprinkle the remaining 1 ½ cups of mozzarella.
- Top the pan with a sheet of parchment paper then foil and bake for 25 minutes covered. Remove foil and paper and bake uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes or until hot and bubbly and slightly browned.
- Serve 1-2 rollups for a portion.
You may also like: