This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- ¾ cup good-quality soy sauce (see note above)
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce (if dark soy sauce is not available or too intense for your taste, just use one full cup of regular soy sauce instead of the ¾ cup)
- ½ cup water
- 4 tablespoons sweet rice wine or mirin (optional)
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- ½ cup agave nectar or honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (will be strained out after cooking)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger (will be strained out after cooking)
- Put all ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for three minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain over a container using a fine sieve. Discard ginger and garlic.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or freeze in zip lock bags for up to three months.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.