This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A classic peach crisp recipe gets a sweet upgrade thanks to the addition of crumbled Italian amaretti cookies in the crisp topping. This Peach Amaretti Crisp is a truly special dessert!
What are amaretti cookies?Amaretti cookies are small, macaroon-like cookies that are crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. The word amaretti comes from the word amaro, which means bitter in Italian – and amaretti cookies have a distinctive almond flavor that is sweet but also slightly bitter. Like most macaroons, amaretti cookies are made with almond flour, egg whites, almond extract, and sugar. But to achieve that distinct bitter flavor, Italian bakeries use a bitter almond flour that is uniquely delicious in these cookies. The flavors of amaretti cookies are a perfect complement to sweet, ripe peaches – so we added cookie crumbs to our Peach Amaretti Crisp topping.
Key ingredients and Substitutions
- Amaretti cookies – You can buy these slightly bitter and sweet almond cookies online here, at any Italian market, or at some supermarkets.
- Fresh peaches – This recipe is best with super-sweet, ripe summer peaches. But if fresh peaches are out of season – or the peaches at the market are not of the best quality – feel free to swap in frozen sliced peaches instead.
- Amaretto liquor – A splash of amaretto bumps up the almond flavor in the filling, but you can leave it out if you prefer.
- Demerara Sugar – While you can use granulated sugar instead, demerara is a less refined sugar that retains a small amount of molasses – giving it a light golden color and a richer flavor.
- Rolled Oats – Every fruit crisp recipe needs oatmeal in the topping. The oats also balance the sweetness of the amaretti.
Chef’s Tip – Your fresh peaches should be medium-firm and easy to peel. Sometimes, supermarket peaches (which are often picked before they were ripe, or grown in a greenhouse) are more difficult to work with. You may need to buy more than the quantity listed in the recipe to make up for waste – or simply buy frozen sliced peaches.Special supplies needed
- 9×13-inch casserole dish
- Food processor to crush the cookies and mix the topping
Chef’s Tip – To peel and remove the stone from the peaches, run a small knife around the peach with the blade flat against the stone and circle the peach following the natural line in the fruit. Gently grab one half with one hand and the second half with the other and twist in opposite directions. The two halves should split apart with the stone remaining in one half. Pull or cut the stone out then peel both halves and slice.
How do I make Peach Amaretti Crisp?
- Peel the peaches, then remove the stone. Slice each peach into six to eight slices, depending on the size.
- Mix the filling. Add sugar, amaretto, cinnamon, salt and corn starch to the sliced fresh peaches and pour into a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Pulse the cookies in a food processor until they are a coarse crumb. Then add flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt and pulse again just to combine. Add cold butter and pulse one more time to combine. Stir in rolled oats, then sprinkle the mixture over the peach filling.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then place under the broiler for just a few minutes to brown the top of the crisp.
- Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.
Frequently asked Questions
- Can I prepare this Peach Amaretti Crisp ahead of time? Yes. We suggest that you mix the filling and topping, but keep them separate. Then just before serving, combine and bake. You can also bake it ahead of time and reheat, but the crisp topping might be a little soggy when reheated.
- How do I store leftovers? Store covered and refrigerated for up to three days.
- How do I reheat the leftovers? Uncover the dish and place in a warm oven until hot and bubbly.
4 pounds fresh peaches (or frozen sliced peaches, if fresh is not available)
1 tablespoon Amaretto liquor (optional)
Pinch of salt
¾ cup demerara sugar (or granulated as a substitute)
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 ounces Amaretti cookies, 1 ½ cups once crushed (if the package is 7-ounces, that amount is fine)
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pats
1 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9×13-inch dish or pan with kitchen pan spray.
Peel the peaches and remove the stone then slice into 6-8 slices, or use frozen (see Chef Tip above in post.)
Place the sliced peaches into a large bowl and add the Amaretto (optional), salt, Demerara or granulated sugar, corn starch and cinnamon and gently toss to combine then scrape into the prepared baking pan or dish with a rubber spatula.
In the bowl of a food processor, process the cookies until coarse crumbs.
Add the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt and pulse to mix.
Add the cold butter and pulse until the butter is pea size.
Remove and pour into a medium bowl along with the rolled oats and toss.
Spread the mixture over the top of the fruit and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Brown under the broiler for a minute or two, then serve with vanilla ice cream.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.