This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
All families seem to have a favorite Thanksgiving stuffing that they make every year – and today we’re sharing Paul’s Thanksgiving Stuffing!
Paul is the brother of my brother-in-law Jim, and we enjoyed this stuffing last year when we visited Jim and my sister Joanne’s family for the Thanksgiving holiday. We loved Paul’s Thanksgiving Stuffing so much, we immediately asked for the recipe – and for a year, we’ve been waiting to make this stuffing to share here on A Family Feast!
This stuffing is easy to make – starting with seasoned stuffing bread cubes that you can find at most supermarkets. Then – a wonderfully diverse mix of ingredients gets added in including chicken broth, diced apples, onions and celery, plus shredded carrots, slices mushrooms, walnuts, fresh cranberries, raisins, and a variety of seasonings!
(Jack and I joked that we should really name this Paul’s “Everything But the Kitchen Sink” Stuffing!)
But all of those savory, sweet and herbaceous flavors combined together result in a fantastic stuffing that is a perfect addition to any holiday dinner. My sister Joanne also noted that this recipe is very versatile so you can add or swap in additional ingredients – or leave some out if you prefer. Either way, Paul’s Thanksgiving Stuffing is delicious.
- 1¼ cups (2½ sticks) butter, some will be used to butter the casserole dish
- 1 14-ounce bag seasoned bread cubes
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 10-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Gala apple peeled, cored and diced (or any hard baking apple)
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup raisins
- Cooked giblets (optional*See note below)
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Butter a large casserole dish and set aside.
- In a very large bowl, place bread cubes.
- In a sauté pan, melt butter over medium high heat and add onions, celery, carrots and parsley, Sauté for 4-5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 4-5 more minutes until tender.
- Pour this mixture over the bread cubes and toss.
- Place all remaining ingredients over bread cubes and toss.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and cover with parchment and foil.
- Bake covered for 40 minutes. Remove parchment and foil and bake uncovered for 20 more minutes.
- Remove to serving bowl and serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
*If you add the giblets to this recipe, cook the giblets separately in some water and then chop and add to this stuffing. Just be sure you bring the giblets to a boil, discard the water then fill again and bring back to a boil. Cook until tender and chop
You may also like: