A few months ago, we took a family vacation to Orlando. Our trip included a fun visit to Universal Studios where we ended the day eating dinner at an eclectic restaurant called The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar.
In addition to enjoying some great burgers and sushi at dinner, I was in the mood for something cold and sweet after a hot day in the Florida sun. A milkshake on the menu called “The Marshmallow Crisp” caught my eye!
The Marshmallow Crisp Milkshake is a delicious take on the flavors of a classic Rice Krispies® Treat – marshmallow fluff and some crisp rice cereal was whipped into a vanilla ice cream milkshake base. Then it was topped with a Rice Krispies Treat – plus an additional sprinkle of crisp rice cereal on top!
That Marshmallow Crisp milkshake was absolutely delicious with a light and creamy consistency – plus an unexpected crispy crunch from the cereal blended right into the shake! The milkshake was also garnished with a homemade Rice Krispies Treat!
And so – as we often do – we set out to recreate it at home so we could share our copycat version here with all of you!
When making The Marshmallow Crisp milkshake – the trick we learned is to heat the marshmallow fluff in the milk so it dissolves before adding it to the cold vanilla ice cream. (If you put the marshmallow fluff in the cold shake it will just clump up!)
Our copycat Marshmallow Crisp Milkshake is a delicious sweet treat that the entire family will love!Print
For the Rice Krispies Treat garnish
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1¼ cup mini marshmallows
- 2 cups Rice Krispies® cereal
For the Milk Shake
- 1 cup whole milk, plus two tablespoons
- 1½ cups marshmallow fluff
- ½ cup Rice Krispies® cereal, divided plus additional for garnish
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
To Make the Rice Krispies Treat garnish
- Spray an 8×8-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and mini marshmallows over low heat, stirring until completely melted and well combined. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Rice Krispies cereal and stir until well coated. Pour the marshmallow and cereal mixture into the prepared pan and using a buttered spatula or wax paper, press mixture firmly into the pan.
- Cool completely, then cut into long narrow triangles for garnishing the milkshake. (Best if served the same day. Extras may be stored in an airtight container for up to a day or so.)
To Make the Shake
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup milk and 1½ cups marshmallow fluff. Over low heat and stirring frequently, heat just until marshmallow fluff completely dissolves. Remove from heat and chill to cool.
- Just before serving, prepare 2 tall or 4 short glasses for serving. Pour 2 tablespoons of milk into a wide shallow bowl. In another wide shallow bowl, pour ¼ cup of the Rice Krispies cereal. Dip the rim of the glass into the milk, then the cereal and allow the cereal to dry on the rim of the glasses.
- In a blender, pour in the cooled milk and marshmallow mixture, then add the ice cream. Blend until smooth and frothy. Add ¼ cup of Rice Krispies cereal and briefly pulse again until combined.
- Pour the milkshake mixture into the prepared glasses, and top with a prepared Rice Krispies Treat.
You may also like: