The other day, I came home to find my husband Jack happily working in the kitchen! From the looks of it, he had about a dozen different boxes, bottles, canisters and packages of different ingredients all spread out on our kitchen island – and he was stirring some sort of delicious concoction in a big bowl!
I saw lots of yummy ingredients – chocolate chips, Rice Krispies cereal, coconut, almonds and dried cranberries. Plus some other healthier ingredients including ground flax seed, coconut oil and coconut sugar, agave nectar and almond milk.
I also saw my mom’s old recipe box on the counter – and that’s where Jack got the inspiration for these Loaded Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Bars. But aside from the Rice Krispies cereal and chocolate – Jack completely changed up my mom’s old recipe, and he recreated it using some of the more all-natural, less-processed ingredients that are so popular these days. (And ingredients that we seem to cook with more and more ourselves lately!)
These delicious Loaded Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Bars will totally cure any sweet tooth you might have in a very delicious way! These bars have a sweet, crispy-chewy bottom topped with a sweet-tart chocolate cranberry ganache – and the flavor combination is out of this world!
While I don’t want to claim that this is a ‘clean’ dessert – these Loaded Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Bars are incredibly delicious – with a lot of ‘better-for-you’ ingredients than many other desserts. And I should point out that all of the ingredients in our recipe today can easily be found in most local supermarkets or big-box stores.Print
In addition to the prep time listed, an additional 2 hours is required to allow the bars to set in the refrigerator.
For the Base
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup golden ground flaxseed
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup agave nectar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted to a liquid in the microwave
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Topping
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 2 cups chocolate chips (you could also use vegan chocolate chips if you prefer)
- ½ cup almond milk
- In a large bowl, place Rice Krispies and ground flax seed and toss just to blend. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, place almonds and process until almost creamy. This may take a few minutes.
- Add coconut sugar and process to blend.
- Add agave and process to blend.
- Add melted coconut oil and both extracts. Process the mixture just to blend.
- Pour processed mixture over the Rice Krispies and with a wooden spoon or firm spatula, mix just to combine. Try not to break up the Rice Krispies too much.
- Line a 9×13-inch pan or glass dish with plastic wrap, parchment or foil. This step just makes it easier to lift out after it sets.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan pressing down lightly to cover the pan evenly.
- Spread the dried cranberries over the mixture.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips and almond milk and microwave just until the chocolate starts to melt (30 seconds up to a minute). Whisk vigorously with a wire whip and pour over cranberries spreading to the edges.
- Let set two hours covered under refrigeration.
- Remove from refrigeration and pull up on the sides of the plastic, parchment or foil to loosen from the bottom and sides. You may need to use a spatula to remove. Place on a cutting board, remove plastic, paper or foil and cut 3×6 for 18 squares.
- Keep refrigerated.
You may also like: