In addition to the prep time listed, an additional 2 hours is required to allow the bars to set in the refrigerator.
For the Base
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup golden ground flaxseed
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup agave nectar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted to a liquid in the microwave
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Topping
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 2 cups chocolate chips (you could also use vegan chocolate chips if you prefer)
- ½ cup almond milk
- In a large bowl, place Rice Krispies and ground flax seed and toss just to blend. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, place almonds and process until almost creamy. This may take a few minutes.
- Add coconut sugar and process to blend.
- Add agave and process to blend.
- Add melted coconut oil and both extracts. Process the mixture just to blend.
- Pour processed mixture over the Rice Krispies and with a wooden spoon or firm spatula, mix just to combine. Try not to break up the Rice Krispies too much.
- Line a 9×13-inch pan or glass dish with plastic wrap, parchment or foil. This step just makes it easier to lift out after it sets.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan pressing down lightly to cover the pan evenly.
- Spread the dried cranberries over the mixture.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips and almond milk and microwave just until the chocolate starts to melt (30 seconds up to a minute). Whisk vigorously with a wire whip and pour over cranberries spreading to the edges.
- Let set two hours covered under refrigeration.
- Remove from refrigeration and pull up on the sides of the plastic, parchment or foil to loosen from the bottom and sides. You may need to use a spatula to remove. Place on a cutting board, remove plastic, paper or foil and cut 3×6 for 18 squares.
- Keep refrigerated.