This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Melissa’s Produce, Jack decide to make a homemade version of Korean-Style Marinated Cucumbers. But as the way things go sometimes – our week got crazy busy – and Jack didn’t have a chance to prepare his Korean-Style Marinated Cucumbers for a few days. But thankfully, we also received an OXO GreenSaver Produce Keeper to try out, and we were able to keep those wonderful cucumbers fresh and crisp until he could develop the recipe! Did you know that 25% of the fresh fruits and vegetables purchased by U.S. Consumers are wasted annually before being consumed? (It happens to us all the time too – we buy produce, store it in the refrigerator – and by the time we go to eat it – it’s rotten and slimy!) There are three main reasons produce rots and spoils:
- Ethylene Gas – Fruits and vegetables give off ethylene gas which speeds up the ripening process and causes over ripening and produce to go bad.
- Improper Airflow – When produce rests against the walls of storage containers, bags and crisper drawers, moisture can build up and cause rotting.
- Uncontrolled Humidity – every fruit and vegetable requires a perfect balance of humidity to stay crisp and prevent wilting and different kinds of product require different humidity levels.
- 2 pounds skin-on Melissa’s Mini Cucumbers, cut lengthwise into sticks 1 ½ inches long by a half inch wide.
- ½ pound daikon, peeled and cut into match stick-sized pieces
- 1 bunch scallions (about 2 ounces), cut on the bias into half inch slices, white and greens
- 3 tablespoons hot pepper paste, (found in the Asian section of most supermarkets)
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (found in the Asian section of most supermarkets)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce, (found in the Asian section of most supermarkets)
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- In a large bowl, toss cucumbers, daikon and scallions.
- In a small bowl combine all other ingredients then mix with the cucumber mixture.
- Cover tightly and let sit overnight.
- Stir and serve. Discard any remaining liquid.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.