This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 2 cups (8 ounce bag) hazelnuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut or walnut oil (vegetable oil may be substituted.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in center
- On a sheet pan (rimmed pan), roast hazelnuts for 14 minutes.
- As soon as they come out of the oven, place in a glass or metal bowl and cover bowl with hard lid or upside down plate and shake vigorously to remove skins. You may need to keep removing the skinned nuts and continue shaking until all skins are off. At one point, I removed the nuts, discarded the pile of skins and kept shaking. It took a good two minutes of this before all or most of the skins were off. Place skinned nuts into a food processor and discard skins.
- Process the nuts for five minutes, stopping several times to scrape sides. The nuts should now be a fine paste like consistency and have an oily feel.
- Add all other ingredients and process again for about 2 minutes or until the mixture becomes glossy. Scrape down several times to ensure even consistency.
- Cool the mixture until completely chilled. Store refrigerated in a tight fitting lid for up to a month. (Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.