Hazelnut Affogato is a fantastic and creamy dessert made by pouring hot espresso over vanilla ice cream.
I’m so lucky to have a husband who is a complete romantic! And when Valentine’s Day comes around each year, Jack tries very hard to make it special for me. He knows (after all our years together) that my idea of a perfect gift is really quite simple…a heartfelt, handwritten note or a wonderful home-cooked meal of all of my favorite foods. Don’t get me wrong – flowers and jewelry are great – but a gift from the heart is the best of all!
So when Jack cooks that special meal for me, dessert will almost always include my favorite – ice cream! And today, we’re sharing one of my favorite ways to enjoy ice cream – this Italian-inspired Hazelnut Affogato.
Affogato means “drowned” in Italian – and it is simply vanilla ice cream (or gelato to be authentically Italian) topped with a shot of hot espresso. It’s a fantastic flavor combination, and the rich, hot espresso against the cold, sweet ice cream is out of this world!
Sometimes when serving an affogato, a shot of amaretto or other liqueur is added to the espresso, but instead, we flavored ours using the delicious Hazelnut flavored Maxwell House International. It adds a wonderful rich sweetness to the espresso along with delicious flavor!
Maxwell House would love to give you the chance to sample their Maxwell House International coffees (and be sure to try it with our affogato recipe)! Just click right here to get a free sample while they last (or a coupon)!
Be sure to visit the Maxwell House International Page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ reviews and find more chances to win!Print
- 1 cup freshly brewed espresso
- 2–4 heaping tablespoons Hazelnut flavored Maxwell House International
- 1 pint super-premium vanilla ice cream
- In a small pitcher, combine freshly brewed espresso with the flavored Maxwell House International. Stir to combine well.
- Place 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream each in shallow cups.
- Gently pour a small amount of the hazelnut coffee mixture into the cup with the vanilla ice cream, adding more as desired.