This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Hash Browns Breakfast Stacks recipe is sponsored by Simply Potatoes®. All opinions are 100% mine.
Also, be sure to enter our giveaway for a Lodge 13” Skillet (retail value $59.95). See below for details!
I’m someone who believes that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I love all kinds of breakfast foods – and sometimes my biggest challenge of the morning is deciding which delicious breakfast foods to make! 😉 Do I have scrambled eggs and hash browns? Or maybe sausage and gravy with biscuits? (And don’t forget the cheese!)
Today’s Hash Browns Breakfast Stack is my idea of the ultimate breakfast or brunch! It’s layer upon layer of all of my favorite breakfast foods: crispy fried hash browns, scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese (times two) and – oh yeah – a generous spoonful of some fantastic sausage gravy on top!
Here’s another close-up look at all of those delicious layers:
We used our panini press and Simply Potatoes® Hash Browns to make the crispy potato rounds in our Hash Browns Breakfast Stacks. No peeling, shredded or cutting is required – just open the package of Simply Potatoes®, use a biscuit cutter to form a round of hash browns and transfer to your panini press to cook. (See the recipe below for how-to photos.) And an added bonus for a busy morning: Using the panini press to make the crispy potato rounds takes half the time to cook – no flipping required!
Simply Potatoes comes in several versatile varieties of cuts including diced, slices and wedges, mashed potatoes, plus the hash browns we used in today’s recipe. All Simply Potatoes are fresh, never frozen potatoes made with real ingredients – so you can feel good about using them in all of your favorite recipes.
Our friends at Simply Potatoes are giving one lucky A Family Feast reader the chance to win a Lodge 13-inch Cast Iron Skillet. (Retail value $59.95)
To enter, leave a comment below by 11:59 pm on February 1, 2017 and tell me, “What is your favorite breakfast food?“
*Giveaway Terms & Conditions: Open to anyone 18 years of age or older with a valid US shipping address. Winner will be randomly selected on Thursday, February 2, 2017 via random.org from among all entries received. Winner will be contacted by me via email so please be sure to comment using a valid email address where I can reach you!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 sweet Italian sausage links, about 1/3 of a pound
- 4 even tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- Few grinds fresh nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 20-ounce bag Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- Kitchen pan spray
- 6 whole eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Chopped chives for garnish, optional
- Make the sausage gravy by melting the one tablespoon of butter in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Remove the sausage meat from the casings and place in the pan with the butter. Stir with a wooden spoon until browned and crumbled, about three minutes.
- Add the flour, mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir and cook for two minutes.
- Add cold milk one third at a time and whip with a whisk between each third.
- Adjust by adding more milk if you like the gravy thinner. Set aside on a low flame.
- Divide the shredded potatoes into nine portions about ½ cup each.
- Using a four inch cookie cutter, place each portion into the cutter and press with the back of a spoon to form nine round discs.
- Heat a Panini press to the hottest possible setting. We set ours to sear.
- Once the press is hot, butter the bottom plate and place two or three potato discs onto the butter then brush the tops with butter and pull down the top press. Tip: As you pick up each disc from your cutting board, place the cookie cutter over it and slip a spatula under it to lift and slide onto the press.
- Cook each batch five minutes or until crispy and browned. Set each aside while you continue to cook.
- You could keep each batch warm in a low oven but we did not find that to be necessary.
- Mix eggs with milk and in a large skillet, cook scrambled eggs by first spraying pan with spray.
- To assemble, place one disc on each of three plates and top each with one sixth of the eggs and one once of cheese. Place a second disc over the cheese and repeat with the remaining eggs and cheese. Top with the last three discs and pour the sausage gravy over the top.
- Finally top with the optional chopped chives and serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Simply Potatoes®. The opinions and text are all mine.