- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 sweet Italian sausage links, about 1/3 of a pound
- 4 even tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- Few grinds fresh nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 20-ounce bag Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- Kitchen pan spray
- 6 whole eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Chopped chives for garnish, optional
- Make the sausage gravy by melting the one tablespoon of butter in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Remove the sausage meat from the casings and place in the pan with the butter. Stir with a wooden spoon until browned and crumbled, about three minutes.
- Add the flour, mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir and cook for two minutes.
- Add cold milk one third at a time and whip with a whisk between each third.
- Adjust by adding more milk if you like the gravy thinner. Set aside on a low flame.
- Divide the shredded potatoes into nine portions about ½ cup each.
- Using a four inch cookie cutter, place each portion into the cutter and press with the back of a spoon to form nine round discs.
- Heat a Panini press to the hottest possible setting. We set ours to sear.
- Once the press is hot, butter the bottom plate and place two or three potato discs onto the butter then brush the tops with butter and pull down the top press. Tip: As you pick up each disc from your cutting board, place the cookie cutter over it and slip a spatula under it to lift and slide onto the press.
- Cook each batch five minutes or until crispy and browned. Set each aside while you continue to cook.
- You could keep each batch warm in a low oven but we did not find that to be necessary.
- Mix eggs with milk and in a large skillet, cook scrambled eggs by first spraying pan with spray.
- To assemble, place one disc on each of three plates and top each with one sixth of the eggs and one once of cheese. Place a second disc over the cheese and repeat with the remaining eggs and cheese. Top with the last three discs and pour the sausage gravy over the top.
- Finally top with the optional chopped chives and serve.