This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Today’s delicious Garden Vegetable Ragout was fully inspired by (as you can guess from the recipe name) a garden full of fresh vegetables!
A “ragout” (pronounced ra-gu) is French for a main dish stew and it comes from the word ragoûter, which means “to revive the taste.”
Our recipe today is a mix of sweet potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, green beans, onions, zucchini, fennel, roasted red peppers and spinach – all simmered together to create a wonderfully rich and flavorful stew.
This garden vegetable ragout is so hearty it makes a wonderful meatless meal – especially served over soft polenta like we show in our photos. But it can also be served by the spoonful as a topping on rounds of toasted bread and served as a delicious appetizer.
You can, of course, modify the ragout based on whatever vegetables you have growing in your garden or that you find at your local market.
- 1/2 pound peeled sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup fennel, white part only sliced thin
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices on the bias (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup Vidalia onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, sliced
- 3/4 pound zucchini, trimmed and cut into thick quarter moons
- 3/4 cup jarred red roasted peppers, drained and diced fine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup merlot or other red wine
- 1 6–ounce can tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Prepared polenta (optional for serving), prepared according to package instructions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix sweet potato, mushroom, fennel, carrots, beans, thyme, salt, pepper and ¼ cup of olive oil.
- Mix and pour out onto a sheet pan and bake 10 minutes, flip vegetables and bake for ten more minutes. Remove from oven and hold.
- In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons of the oil, bay leaves, and onions and cook for three minutes over medium high.
- Add garlic and zucchini and sauté two minutes.
- Add roasted peppers and tomato paste and cook for one minute.
- Add wine and reduce by half.
- Add roasted vegetables along with tomato juice, basil, vinegar, Worcestershire and sugar.
- Cook on a medium simmer for ten minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add spinach and adjust seasoning if needed.
- If using polenta, serve hot ragout over portions of cooked polenta.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: