This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 8 ounce package baby bella mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 teaspoons dry parsley flakes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup half-and-half or light cream
- In a non-stick medium sauce pan, heat oil and butter over medium heat and add onions and garlic. Sauté for five minutes just until the onions start to brown.
- Add mushrooms, salt, pepper, nutmeg, thyme and parsley. Sauté for five more minutes.
- Add flour and stir and cook for three minutes.
- Add stock and stir until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream.
- This mixture can now be used in a variety of recipes that call for canned cream of mushroom soup. To use just as soup, add enough milk to yield a creamy soup consistency.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.