I love dessert mousses. There’s just something about a light and creamy dessert that appeals to me more than anything (well – except for maybe ice cream!) and this recipe for Chocolate Malted Mousse is right up there with one of my all-time favorite mousse recipes.
This chocolate malted mousse combines crushed malted milk balls, chocolate malted milk powder, two kinds of melted chocolate, whipped cream and chocolate liqueur (we used Kahlua since we had that on hand) to make a sweet, rich and creamy chocolate mousse bottom layer. Then it’s topped with a lightly sweetened, cocoa whipped cream as a perfect complement to the sweeter chocolate mousse and finally, garnished with malted milk ball candies.
I originally clipped this recipe out of Better Homes & Gardens magazine a few years ago and stashed it away in my recipe notebook – I’m so glad we finally tried this recipe! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.Print
A light and delicious chocolate-malted mousse.
- 3 cups whipping cream, divided
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chocolate malted milk powder
- 2 tablespoons chocolate liqueur or milk (we used Kahlua)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ounces malted milk balls (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Additional malted milk balls for garnish
- Place a large mixing bowl and beaters in the refrigerator to chill.
- To prepare the mousse, combine ¼ cup of whipping cream with the milk chocolate and bittersweet chocolate in a small saucepan and melt over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly. Add in the malted milk powder, liqueur, and vanilla and stir to combine. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- While the chocolate mixture is cooling, place the 2 ounces of malted milk balls into a zipper seal bag and crush with a rolling pin until you have fine crumbs. Set aside.
- Using the chilled mixing bowl and beaters, beat 1¾ cups of whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Stir approximately ½ cup of the whipped cream into the room temperature melted chocolate mixture and stir to just combine. Then fold the crushed malted milk balls and melted chocolate mixture into the remaining whipped cream, and mix to just combine.
- Spoon the mousse into 6-8 individual serving bowls or dishes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight.)
- When ready to serve, in medium chilled bowl, beat remaining 1 cup of whipping cream, sugar and cocoa powder until soft peaks form. Spoon over the chilled chocolate mousse. Top with malted milk balls (we cut the milk balls in half before using as garnish on the mousse.)
You may also like: