This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This past weekend, we were invited to a brunch at our friends’ house along with some other friends from the neighborhood. All of us have six-year-old little girls that attend the same school. So while the kids played happily together all day long, us parents enjoyed great food and great company! (And when I say all day long…I meant it…brunch started around 10:30 am and we all finally left for home after 9:00 pm!)
My husband Jack and I were asked to bring baked goods for the meal – and I immediately knew what recipe I wanted to make: Chocolate Chip Scones!
If you were a very early reader of A Family Feast, then you may remember our cranberry orange scones recipe – and these chocolate chip scones are made from the same fabulous scone recipe that was originally shared with me many years ago by my sister-in-law Pam. These scones are the absolute BEST – tender, moist, perfectly sweetened (but not too sweet!) – and with semi-sweet chocolate chips added, both kids and grownups alike love them!
The secret ingredient that keeps these scones so moist and tender is…yogurt! Although a fat-free yogurt (or even sour cream) will work in this recipe, try to find a low-fat yogurt if you can for the best results.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt (or sour cream)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Whisk together flour and baking powder in a medium sized bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat 3 minutes on high until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Slowly add the flour and baking powder mixture into the egg mixture, blending well.
- Then add yogurt, again mixing until blended. Fold in chocolate chips until blended throughout the dough.
- Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes. (This recipe may be made in advance and refrigerated overnight.)
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Filling a 1/3 cup measuring cup, make scones and form into round balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 325 degrees and bake for 10-13 minutes more until lightly golden.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: