This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies are crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside thanks to both chocolate chips and peanut butter in the dough.
An Irresistible Combination of Flavors!
Chocolate and peanut butter are a flavor match made in heaven – and they are especially delicious baked together as Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies.
It’s an irresistible combination of rich, creamy peanut butter and melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chips – all inside a sweet cookie that is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Every bite has nutty notes of peanut butter that wonderfully complement the sweetness of the chocolate. It’s a perfect balance of flavors.
Why you’ll love Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
- They have two favorite flavors in one amazing cookie: peanut butter and chocolate chips.
- These cookies are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
- They are a great option for bake sales, parties, or anytime you want to serve some delicious homemade cookies.
Key Ingredients & Substitutions
- All-purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Butter – We always bake with unsalted butter. Land o’ Lakes is our brand of choice.
- Sugar – Both granulated and brown sugar are included in this cookie recipe.
- Vanilla Extract
- Peanut Butter – We don’t recommend using natural peanut butter in this cookie recipe. A smooth brand such as Jif or Skippy’s will mix in the best.
- Chocolate Chips – We used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you could change it up to use milk, dark or even white chocolate chips if you’d like.
Special Tools Needed
- Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment, or Hand Mixer and Mixing Bowl
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Various Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Rubber Scraper
- Cookie Scoop – #40 Size
- Small Baking Pan – It should fit into your refrigerator.
- Two Cookie Sheets
- Two Parchment Paper Sheets or Silicone Baking Mats
- Dinner Fork
How do I make Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix butter, sugar, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add egg, vanilla, peanut butter and mix again.
- Add dry ingredients to the peanut butter mixture to create a cookie dough.
- Add chocolate chips to the cookie dough.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto a baking pan and chill.
- Preheat the oven and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the chilled cookie dough balls onto the prepared baking sheets. With a fork, press down on the cookies to flatten and create fork marks on the top.
- Bake cookies, rotating halfway through.
- Cool cookies completely on a wire rack.
Tips & Tricks
- This cookie batter doesn’t spread much as it bakes so you definitely want to press the dough down with the fork to flatten before placing the cookies in the oven.
- Since you are baking two cookie sheets at once, it’s important to rotate the cookie sheets and swap racks to ensure even baking.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I make Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies ahead of time? Yes, you can mix the cookie dough up to a day ahead of time. Once the cookie dough is mixed, scooped, and chilled for 40 minutes, you can go ahead and flatten them with a fork according to the recipe instructions. Once flattened, cover with plastic wrap, then chill them again in the refrigerator for up to one day. The next day, bake according to recipe instructions.
- How do I store these cookies? Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
- Can I freeze these cookies? Yes, the baked cookies freeze nicely up to a month or so. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn. When ready to thaw, unwrap and lay out flat.
- Can I skip the chocolate chips and just use this recipe to make peanut butter cookies? Yes!
- Can I make these in a 9×13-inch pan instead? Click here to see our Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Blondies recipe.
This recipe was adapted from Kitchn.
Click here for more delicious Cookie Recipes!
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- Place room temperature butter, both sugars, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Beat on high until light and fluffy – about four minutes. Scrap the sides on the bowl.
- Add room temperature egg and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed until combined – about a minute. Add peanut butter and mix again until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl. If you see any dry ingredients remaining in the cookie dough, mix again.
- Pour chocolate chips into the bowl with the dough, then hand mix with a spatula to intersperse the chips throughout.
- Line a small sheet tray or baking pan with a sheet of parchment paper. Use a small scoop (#40 size) to portion out 24 cookies onto the small sheet tray or baking dish. (It’s fine to line them up close to each other, but not touching.) Chill in the refrigerator for 40 minutes.
- While the cookie dough chills, arrange your oven racks into thirds. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two full-size cookie sheets with sheets of parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- After chilling, arrange 12 balls of cookie dough on each prepared cookie sheet, spacing them apart. Use a fork and press down on each ball of cookie dough to flatten to about a half-inch thick and create fork marks on top.
- Place both cookie sheets in the oven to bake. After ten minutes, rotate the cookie sheets and swap racks. Bake for another five minutes more or until the edges are slightly golden brown.
- Remove cookie sheets from the oven and let them sit for five minutes. Carefully transfer cookies to a cooling rack to finished cooling completely.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.