This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Ever since becoming a food blogger, I’ve become increasingly aware of the proliferation of national ‘food holidays!’ On almost every day of the year, at least one food is ‘honored’ and many of my fellow food bloggers love to share recipes that correspond to that day’s honorary food group! It’s all meant to be in good fun – most likely started by food industry or marketing groups as a way to drum up a little bit of PR for their company or client.
So today – in honor of National Cheeseburger Day – here’s our contribution to the festivities: Our Bacon Cheeseburger Pie! (We actually had this recipe waiting in the wings to share with you all – and when I happened to read that September 18th is National Cheeseburger Day – I just had to schedule this post for today!)
This bacon cheeseburger pie is another easy and super delicious family dinner option! As you can tell by the name of the recipe – it’s essentially a bacon cheeseburger in pie form with ground beef, bacon, onions, mushrooms, seasonings and cheddar cheese all combined, and then topped with some delicious, buttery dumplings. The aromas coming out of the oven as it bakes are amazing!
Served with a side of lettuce and tomato – this bacon cheeseburger pie is pure comfort food and a recipe your family will love!
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled into medium pieces
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat (reserved from cooking the bacon)
- ¼ pound onions, sliced thickly
- ¼ pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of Sriracha hot sauce, or other hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Few grinds black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
For the Dumplings:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut into several pieces
- ½ cup milk
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add bacon fat. Once fat is hot, add onions and mushrooms and sauté for 4 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add stock, cream, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the four and water to form a slurry. Add to cooked beef and stir.
- Pour mixture into a medium sized casserole dish (about 8X8 for example) sprayed with pan spray. Stir in cheddar cheese and top with crumbled bacon.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add cold butter and mix by hand until butter is pea shaped. Add milk and mix to form sticky dumpling dough. Drop by spoonfuls onto beef mixture.
- Cover casserole dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with a side of lettuce and tomato.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: