This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Move over Alfredo, there’s a new sauce in town! And its name is Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce!
Coming from a gal who pretty much always orders some sort of cheesy, creamy Alfredo pasta dish anytime we go out to an Italian restaurant – this was a pretty big deal when I told my husband Jack that his Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce tastes even better than Alfredo sauce.
This sauce is rich and creamy and tremendously flavorful thanks to shallots, sage and Parmesan cheese that are added to a creamy puree of butternut squash, chicken stock, butter and cream. But even with those very decadent ingredients – this sauce is not overly heavy.
Jack thought up the sauce because we have an abundance of butternut squash from our garden. And after Jack asked me to give his sauce a taste-test – I could not stop sneaking a few more tastes as he cooked the pasta!
This Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce is truly exceptional – and better than any sauce I’ve enjoyed at a restaurant. You’ve got to try it! (It’s delicious in our Butternut Squash Parmesan recipe that you can see right here.)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup shallots, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced fine, about 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage finely minced
- ¼ cup vermouth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 14.5-ounce can chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Few grinds black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter in oil over medium high heat and add shallots, butternut squash and sage.
- Sauté for five minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add vermouth and cook until vermouth has evaporated.
- Lower heat to medium and add flour and stir. Cook for one minute.
- Add stock, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook until stock has reduced by half, about ten minutes.
- Add cream and simmer on low heat five minutes. (Mixture should be just slightly bubbling but do not boil)
- Remove from heat, add cheese and puree with an immersion blender until creamy.
- Serve over your favorite cooked pasta.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: