This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 1 cup course corn meal
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 8 ounces raw bacon (cherry wood or apple wood smoked is preferable)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Corn removed from three ears of corn, or 2 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat reserved from cooking the bacon
- The night before preparing the cornbread, mix the corn meal and buttermilk in a bowl, cover and let sit overnight on your counter at room temperature.
- The day of, cook the bacon until crisp and reserve the fat. You can either cook the bacon on parchment lined sheet trays in the oven or in a fry pan on your stove top. Drain on paper towels, then crumble or chop to small pieces and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and using a 9×9-inch baking pan or a 9-inch round cake pan, place two tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat in the pan and place the pan in the oven while you prepare the batter.
- In a medium to large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the granulated and brown sugar to combine.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs slightly.
- In a microwave safe small bowl, melt butter. Stir in the honey and then add this butter/honey mixture to the beaten eggs and stir.
- Now add the egg mixture to the cornmeal mixture that sat out overnight.
- Then take this wet mixture and add to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the corn and set the batter aside.
- With pot holders, remove the now hot pan from the oven, swirl around the fat to coat the bottom and sides and pour in the cornbread batter. Sprinkle on the bacon pieces pushing slightly into the batter.
- Place back in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack in the pan then cut into either 9 or 12 pieces.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: