This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ pound hickory smoked bacon (12 slices)
- ½ cup light olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- Place egg yolks and lemon juice in a small bowl and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes while you cook the bacon. This step is necessary to “cook” the yolks with the acid from the lemon juice. The other option would be to use two coddled egg yolks, (see How to Coddle an Egg here) if you prefer that method.
- Cook bacon until very crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Save bacon fat.
- Pour olive oil in a small bowl and stir in all of the bacon fat. Place in the refrigerator to cool but not solidify.
- Place egg yolk and lemon mixture in a blender and add mustard, liquid smoke, salt and pepper and with the motor running, very slowly drizzle in the cooled bacon fat and oil. This process should take about two minutes so pour very slowly.
- After two minutes, pour or scrape mixture into a bowl and add onion.
- Finely chop enough of the cooked crisp bacon to make ½ cup and add to mixture. Save any remaining bacon for other recipes.
- Stir mixture and refrigerate for two hours and serve. May be refrigerated for up to two weeks.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.