I predict that the bacon-lovers in the crowd will be very happy with today’s recipe for homemade Bacon Mayonnaise!
Our bacon-flavored mayonnaise recipe is modeled after the popular store-bought condiment, and it will transform your favorite sandwich from ‘ho hum…’ to ‘oh wow!’
It’s very simple to make in a blender – just like any homemade mayonnaise would be. But we swapped in some rendered bacon fat in place of some of the oil – giving this Bacon Mayonnaise a huge boost of flavor!
Once the creamy base is done, simply stir in some finely chopped, cooked bacon and some sautéed red onion for even more flavor and texture.
This homemade Bacon Mayonnaise is great on sandwiches (especially a classic BLT) – but we also sometimes use it as a decadent dip with sliced vegetables or potato wedges.
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ pound hickory smoked bacon (12 slices)
- ½ cup light olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- Place egg yolks and lemon juice in a small bowl and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes while you cook the bacon. This step is necessary to “cook” the yolks with the acid from the lemon juice. The other option would be to use two coddled egg yolks, (see How to Coddle an Egg here) if you prefer that method.
- Cook bacon until very crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Save bacon fat.
- Pour olive oil in a small bowl and stir in all of the bacon fat. Place in the refrigerator to cool but not solidify.
- Place egg yolk and lemon mixture in a blender and add mustard, liquid smoke, salt and pepper and with the motor running, very slowly drizzle in the cooled bacon fat and oil. This process should take about two minutes so pour very slowly.
- After two minutes, pour or scrape mixture into a bowl and add onion.
- Finely chop enough of the cooked crisp bacon to make ½ cup and add to mixture. Save any remaining bacon for other recipes.
- Stir mixture and refrigerate for two hours and serve. May be refrigerated for up to two weeks.
You may also like: