‘Tis the season…for pumpkin recipes! And I really hope you aren’t completely tired of seeing pumpkin recipes…because this Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Bake is super delicious and the perfect taste of fall!
Most people think of desserts when they think of cooking with pumpkin – but it’s also a really delicious squash for savory dishes like this creamy pumpkin pasta bake! Layers of pasta, mozzarella cheese, a creamy filling of pureed pumpkin, ricotta and parmesan cheeses, and a delicious sage-infused white sauce are all combined in a casserole and then topped with a final layer of mozzarella cheese. Bake until golden and bubbly – and a hearty and comforting dinner is ready to be served!
Even if you think you don’t like pumpkin – you really need to give this terrific (and very easy) dish a try! Pumpkin has such a wonderful mellow flavor when it’s baked (especially without all of the spices typically found in pumpkin dessert recipes) – and combined with the creamy sauce in this recipe – you may discover a new favorite food!
Although we enjoy this as a meatless meal option – this creamy pumpkin pasta bake would also be terrific with cooked crumbled sausage added for a spicier version, or with bacon added for a more smokey flavor. Either way, you are sure to love this easy dish! Enjoy – and have a great weekend everyone!
- ½ pound dry pasta (we used a short rigatoni shape, but ziti or farfalle would also work well)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Colman’s dry mustard powder
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook the pasta according to directions until al dente (firm to the bite but not soft). Drain well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, ricotta, egg, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, white pepper and parsley. Mix well and set aside.
- In a small pan, heat milk and stock, or combine and microwave. In a small sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat and add the chopped sage. Saute for 4 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the hot stock and milk to the butter and flour mixture one third at a time whisking each time. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and dry mustard. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium casserole dish, layer the ingredients as follows: ¼th of the prepared White Sauce, ⅓rd of the cooked pasta, ⅓rd of the Pumpkin filling and ¼th of the mozzarella.
- Repeat these same layers 2 additional times. Then add one last layer of the remaining white sauce and top that with the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for approximately 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden and the dish is heated through and bubbly.
You may also like: