- ½ pound dry pasta (we used a short rigatoni shape, but ziti or farfalle would also work well)
To make the Pumpkin filling
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (used canned or our homemade slow cooker pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
To make the White Sauce
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Colman’s dry mustard powder
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook the pasta according to directions until al dente (firm to the bite but not soft). Drain well.
To make the pumpkin filling
- In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, ricotta, egg, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, white pepper and parsley. Mix well and set aside.
To make the white sauce
- In a small pan, heat milk and stock, or combine and microwave. In a small sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat and add the chopped sage. Saute for 4 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the hot stock and milk to the butter and flour mixture one third at a time whisking each time. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and dry mustard. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium casserole dish, layer the ingredients as follows: 1/4th of the prepared White Sauce, 1/3rd of the cooked pasta, 1/3rd of the Pumpkin filling and 1/4th of the mozzarella.
- Repeat these same layers 2 additional times. Then add one last layer of the remaining white sauce and top that with the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for approximately 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden and the dish is heated through and bubbly.
Keywords: Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Bake