Whenever I see Hamburger Soup on the menu, it always makes me smile. This family-friendly soup appeals to both kids and grown-ups alike, and there’s just something fun about the idea of eating soup that tastes like a hamburger!
Hamburger soup is simple and inexpensive to make, but packs a lot of flavor. It’s another soup that uses our rich, homemade brown stock, and thanks to the ground beef, tomato, cheese, and other ingredients and seasonings, this is a really delicious and filling family meal. We’ve used alphabet noodles – another fun ingredient to include – but any small pasta will work well with this soup.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our Beef Soup Series and seeing all of the delicious recipes you can make for your family. Be sure to check out the other recipes in our series.
Other recipes from the Beef Soup Series:
Other recipes you may enjoy:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, separated
- 1 ½ cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef (80/20)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 quarts brown stock (see here) or strong low sodium beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Alphabet or star shaped pasta
- In a 10-quart pot or Dutch oven, sauté onions and celery in half of the olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Push vegetables to sides of pot, increase heat to medium high and place the rest of the olive oil in center. Add beef and break up with wooden spoon and sauté until beef is cooked.
- Return to medium heat and add tomato paste. Mix in the paste and cook for one more minute.
- Add diced tomato, brown stock, dried thyme and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Skim off any fat and foam that floats to the top.
- Increase heat to medium high and add spinach and parmesan. Cook for five more minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Cook pasta according to box directions.
- Place pasta in serving bowl, ladle in soup and top with more Parmesan cheese.