As part of our Beef Soup Series, today we’re sharing our recipe for a delicious and hearty Beef and Barley Soup. The flavors of beef and barley go so well together – this soup is pure comfort served in a bowl!
Starting with a rich homemade brown stock, this beef and barley soup is made with pieces of chuck beef, a flavorful cut of beef that’s perfect for soups and stews. (It’s also a fairly affordable cut of beef so easy on the family budget.) Then tender chunks of vegetables and pearl barley are added to make this a very hearty and filling meal.
This recipe easily serves 8-10 people so it’s perfect for a feeding a crowd.Print
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chuck beef, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced leeks
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomato
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 quarts brown stock (or beef stock)
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup diced white turnip
- In a 10-quart pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Place beef in oil and sear on all sides. Do not crowd the meat in the pan – brown the beef in batches.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and leeks and sauté for 3-5 minutes until vegetables are slightly tender.
- Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add tomato paste and cook an additional minute.
- Move mixture to sides of pan and place barley in center. Sauté for 2 minutes being careful not to burn the barley or mixture.
- Add all other ingredients except salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Bring to a simmer and cook for one hour and 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
You may also like: