Have you ever tried White Barbecue Sauce? This Alabama classic is zesty, creamy and fantastic!
Ever since we shared this recipe, Jack and I have been obsessed with White Barbecue Sauce! It’s a zesty, tangy mayonnaise-based sauce that gets a great kick of flavor from the addition of vinegar, horseradish and mustard, plus minced fresh garlic and coarsely ground black pepper.
Recipes for White Barbecue Sauce are all over the internet, and our recipe below is an adaptation of a recipe found in Southern Living. Their article here traces the recipe back to Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q in Decatur, Alabama where the popular barbecue joint created their white barbecue sauce back in 1925.
The original recipe calls for Creole mustard – but we weren’t able to find it locally so we swapped in a zesty whole grain mustard instead. (The sauce was still wonderful!) You can find Creole mustard online here.
Although we stayed fairly true to the original recipe below, I would imagine you could have some fun with this White Barbecue Sauce recipe – varying the type of vinegar used, swapping in different mustards, and even adding in different seasonings if you’d like! (The original recipe also added in a quarter-cup of water to their White Barbecue Sauce, but we liked a thicker consistency so we left it out.)
P.S. Click here for our White Barbecue Chicken recipe! It is fantastic and a must-make recipe!
You may also like these other recipes made with this White Barbecue Sauce:
- White Barbecue Chicken
- Grilled Kielbasa Rolls with White Barbecue Sauce
- White Barbecue Pizza with Prosciutto and Caramelized Onions
- White Barbecue Sauce Pork Ribs
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard (or Creole mustard)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Use in place of any red barbecue sauce.
Keywords: White Barbecue Sauce