This Tortellini Salad with Roasted Vegetables has been one of my go-to recipes for a long time! I’ve been making it for at least a decade – and it always gets rave reviews from anyone who eats it!
We start out by roasting a mix of cubed eggplant, red and orange bell peppers, red onion and garlic in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper. While the vegetables are roasting, cook some tortellini, and also mix up a simple but flavorful dressing made with Dijon mustard, champagne vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper.
Once the vegetables and tortellini are done, mix everything together in a large bowl – ideally while the tortellini is still warm so that the pasta absorbs all of the wonderful juices and flavors from the roasted vegetables as it cools.
Finally toss in some toasted nuts (we used walnuts in our recipe today, but pine nuts are also delicious with this salad) as well as cherry or grape tomatoes plus some fresh basil. Allow the Tortellini Salad with Roasted Vegetables to cool to room temperature before serving – or chill it in the refrigerator until ready to eat. (We do recommend bringing the salad back up to room temperature before serving for the best flavor!)
Right before serving, sprinkle some crumbled feta cheese over the top of this delicious Tortellini Salad with Roasted Vegetables – and enjoy!
Recipe loosely inspired by the Orzo with Roasted Vegetables recipe that appears in Barefoot Contessa Parties! (affiliate link)Print
For Roasting Vegetables
- 1 pound eggplant, peeled and cut into one inch cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into one inch cubes
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cut into one inch cubes
- ½ pound red onion, cut into one inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1½ teaspoons sea or kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed pink or black peppercorns
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 12-ounce package dry cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (OK to substitute whole grain if you prefer)
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed pink or black peppercorns
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup walnut pieces (pine nuts may also be substituted), optional
- 1 pint mixed cherry, grape or sun glow tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh basil, cut into strips
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl toss eggplant, red and orange peppers, onion, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Pour out onto a sheet pan and roast for 15 minutes. Flip vegetables and roast for 15 minutes more.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions – but time it so the pasta is ready at the same time the vegetables come out of the oven. Drain pasta well.
- While vegetables are roasting, make dressing by combining mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly pour in oil to make the vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Once the vegetables and drained pasta are ready, place in a large bowl with the dressing and gently toss.
- Toast walnut pieces in a dry pan for about five minutes to brown. Add to large bowl along with fresh tomatoes and basil. Toss again.
- At this point you can chill the mixture on a flat pan to cool quickly and when ready to serve, place in a bowl and add the feta cheese or if serving warm, sprinkle feta over the top and serve.
You may also like: