This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Slow Cooker Tomato Crab Bisque is sponsored by Hunt’s® tomatoes. All opinions are 100% mine.
Our slow cooker stays out on our kitchen counter all year long – ready to be put to good use making some very delicious meals. No matter what your busy day is like, it is so awesome to come home to a hot meal that is already cooked and ready to be eaten!
Today’s Slow Cooker Tomato Crab Bisque is easy enough to serve for a weeknight meal – and it’s also fancy enough to serve for a special occasion.
All day long, a rich tomato-based broth simmers away in the slow cooker – then when you’re home and ready to eat, stir in some light cream or half-and-half, plus chunks of lump and jumbo lump crab meat, and fresh chopped parsley.
The flavors of the rich and creamy tomato bisque and the lump crab meat are truly wonderful together. (This soup will make any seafood lover very happy!)
Just before serving, top your Slow Cooker Tomato Crab Bisque with more jumbo lump crab meat and parsley – then grab a soup spoon and enjoy.
We used Hunt’s Organic Diced Tomatoes and Hunt’s Tomato Paste in our Slow Cooker Tomato Crab Bisque. Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes come in several varieties, and all Hunt’s products are 100% natural and non-GMO, with no artificial preservatives.
Hunt’s peels all of its diced, whole and stewed tomatoes with FlashSteam™ – which is a process that uses steam from simple hot water. And because Hunt’s peels their tomatoes with FlashSteam™ instead of chemicals like lye*, that also means no chemical by-products go back into the earth.
*Lye peeling is generally recognized as safe by the FDA and has no adverse effects on the healthfulness of tomatoes.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hunt’s . The opinions and text are all mine.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup celery, diced fine
- 1 cup onion, diced fine
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced fine
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Hunt’s Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup vermouth or dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups bottled clam juice (two 8-ounce bottles)
- 1 14.5–ounce can Hunt’s Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 16–ounce container (pasteurized) lump crab meat
- 1 16–ounce container (pasteurized) jumbo lump crab meat (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter in oil over medium low heat.
- Add celery, onion, pepper and carrots and cook slowly for 15 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium and add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add Hunt’s Tomato Paste and cook for two minutes.
- Add vermouth and cook just to evaporate, about one minute.
- Add flour and cook for two minutes then remove from heat.
- In a slow cooker, place mixture from sauté pan along with clam juice, Hunt’s Organic Diced Tomatoes, Old Bay seasoning, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne powder. Stir to combine and set slow cooker to high.
- Cook for four hours however if mixture starts to stick to bottom, reduce to low.
- After four hours, add half and half and puree with an immersion blender or pour into a blender to puree.
- Add both containers of crab meat along with chopped parsley and heat just to serving temperature and serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.