This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
We love seeing what you made! Tag us on Instagram at @afamilyfeast or hashtag #afamilyfeast so we can see your creations!
Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
Note: This slow cooker recipe requires some pre-cooking. If cooking this during the day for dinner that night, you can save time by doing the pre-cooking the night before if you’d like.
- 6 8–ounce blade steaks, about an inch thick
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds button mushrooms sliced thin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (cream sherry can be used in a pinch, but dry is preferable in this dish)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Each blade steak has a line of gristle running down the center. To remove, cut each steak in half along the line of gristle and then with a sharp knife, slice off and discard the line of gristle on each piece. Then lay the steaks out on a plate and salt and pepper if cooking right away. If not cooking until the next day, do not season until then.
- In a large 12 inch skillet with a tight fitting lid over medium high heat, place one tablespoon of oil, all of the mushrooms and the salt. Stir, cover and cook for five minutes. The mushrooms will give up a lot of water. Remove cover and cook for 5-10 minutes until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms get dry and browned. Remove from heat and place in bottom of slow cooker.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil with onions, thyme and paprika. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add flour and cook for one minute.
- Slowly add stock and sherry while whisking until combined. Remove from heat and add to slow cooker.
- At this point, if you are prepping the night before, refrigerate slow cooker bowl and steaks until morning.
Starting the Slow Cooker
- When ready to cook, place slow cooker bowl into slow cooker.
- Salt and pepper both sides of steaks and plunge into mushroom and onion mixture until completely submerged under mixture.
- Cover and set timer to low for eight hours or high for five hours. After allotted time, check for doneness and cook longer if needed. On low, ours took exactly eight hours.
- Remove meat to a platter and tent with foil.
- Let slow cooker mixture rest for five minutes then skim any fat from top and discard.
- Add cream and parsley to mushroom and onion mixture and stir.
- To serve, place beef steaks on dinner plates and top with the mushroom and onion mixture. Sprinkle with additional chopped fresh thyme or parsley.
- We show our steaks served with Asiago Potato Stacks.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Beef Brisket
Leave a Comment