This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
For the Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting the surface while rolling out the cookie dough
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (1½ sticks), softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup very finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure orange extract
For the Chocolate Drizzle
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon pure orange extract
To prepare the Cookies:
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Add diced ginger and beat for another 2 minutes. Add egg, vanilla and orange extracts and mix well. Then add flour mixture and beat on medium-low speed just until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in half and form each half into flat disks, each about 1-inch thick. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerator for at least one hour or up to 3 days.
- When ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a ¼ inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut dough out into 2-inch circles (you can gather the scraps and re-roll out to make more cookie rounds). Place the rounds approximately ½ inch apart on the lined cookie sheets, then refrigerate for 10 minutes before baking. After the rounds (on the cookie sheet) have chilled for 10 minutes, bake for 12 to 14 minutes. (If baking more than one cookie sheet at time, rotate the sheets halfway through the baking time.) Remove from the oven when done and slide the parchment paper with the cookies still on it to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
- Once cookies have cooled completely, remove them from the parchment paper and place them onto a wire rack in preparation for the drizzle
To prepare the Chocolate Drizzle
- Place chocolate chips and orange extract in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir to begin to melt the chocolate chips and keep microwaving in 30 second increments until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth and the extract is fully combined.
- Pour the melted chocolate into a small pastry bag fitted with a small piping tip (be careful, the chocolate will be quite warm!). Drizzle each cookie with the chocolate in a striped pattern and allow to harden completely before serving.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.