This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
We’ve shared with you before, our struggle to get our six-year-old to eat a variety of foods, and in particular more fruits and vegetables – she’s such a picky eater! But these delicious Healthy Whole Wheat Muffins filled with fruits and vegetables have just become one of our new family favorites!
We originally found this recipe in a promotional magazine published by our local supermarket, and we loved the idea of making healthy and delicious muffins filled with fruits and vegetables!
The recipe starts with whole wheat pastry flour – something I had never cooked with before – and anytime we can substitute in healthier, whole wheat flour when baking, it’s a win in my book! Then, these muffins are loaded up with a ton of healthy and flavorful ingredients including dried cranberries, rolled oats, shredded sweet potato, pineapple, applesauce, and sunflower seeds. It’s like a full serving of fruit and vegetables in a single, really delicious muffin.
And how do these muffins taste? Fantastic! The whole wheat flour lends a rich nutty taste that is perfect with the sweetness from the fruits – almost reminiscent of a molasses flavor – and sweet potato lends a great depth of flavor as well. Sunflower seeds (you can substitute wheat germ or pumpkin seeds if you prefer) add a bit of crunch and texture to the muffin making this perfect for an on-the-go breakfast. (We keep some of these in the freezer for those busy school and work day mornings!)
And yes…our six-year-old likes them too! Hooray!!
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or (one cup wheat flour and one cup all-purpose flour)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups raw, peeled sweet potatoes, shredded
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, wheat germ, or pumpkin seeds
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liner cups then spray or grease the pan including inside of the cups (or if you prefer not to use the paper liners, grease and flour your muffin pan).
- Place cranberries in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with water. Microwave on high for one minute and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift flour, brown sugar, baking soda and spices together. Add rolled oats and stir again.
- Add shredded sweet potato, pineapple, applesauce and sunflower seeds and stir, mixing well. Mixture will be quite thick.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with oil and vanilla.
- Add egg mixture to the batter and mix.
- Drain cranberries and fold into the batter.
- Fill muffin cups, dividing batter equally and bake for 25-28 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for five minutes then transfer to racks to cool further.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: