Fall is my favorite time of year! I love the cooler weather…the holidays at this time of year… but I especially love all of the foods that come with the fall harvest. Our recipe for Farro with Butternut Squash and Baby Kale is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy in-season fall produce. It’s a terrific Meatless Monday meal option and a hearty taste of Fall in a bowl!
And – I’m not the only one excited for Fall! P.F. Chang’s, the popular Asian-themed restaurant chain, is celebrating The Goodness of Fall flavors with their new Fall Seasonal Menu. Don’t these dishes sound amazing?!?
Ginger Jalapeno Mule and Apple Cinnamon Martini * Pumpkin Dessert Wontons * Apple Cinnamon Martini * Apple Dessert Wontons * Shanghai Waldorf Salad * Crispy Korean Chicken Wings * Miso Chicken * Harvest Vegetable Quinoa “Fried Rice” * Vietnamese Noodles with Steak & Shrimp * Citrus Mustard Prawns
I’m so intrigued by the Apple Cinnamon Martini…
…and I also can’t wait to try the Apple Dessert Wontons!
And as part of the Fall fun, P.F. Chang’s is also hosting The Goodness of Fall Contest.
Just create a fall dish using 3 of the seasonal ingredients that are used on the new Fall Seasonal Menu and submit it to The Goodness of Fall Contest on their Facebook page. (And while you are over there – be sure to print your offer for $10 off $40 at P.F. Chang special offer!
The contest judges include:
* Philip Chiang, Cofounder of P.F. Chang’s * Yuji Iwasa, Head Development Chef at P.F. Chang’s * Mary Melton, Director of Beverage at P.F. Chang’s * Jennifer Chong; a prominent blogger partner.
They will be selecting daily winners of a $50 P.F. Chang’s gift card and the top 5 recipes will considered for a chance to win the grand prize:
You and one lucky guest could win a two-night trip to Napa in Spring of 2014, including an exclusive visit to the guest house at a Napa Valley vineyard where judges Philip Chiang and Yuji Iwasa will be cooking some of their favorite dishes. Director of Beverage Mary Melton will also be there, guiding the winners through an extensive wine tasting. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime Napa Valley getaway!
Our recipe for Farro with Butternut Squash and Baby Kale was inspired by this contest! And – we’ll be using our $10 off $40 special offer from P.F. Chang’s very soon so we can try some of their new fabulous Fall Seasonal Menu dishes.
Which Fall dish are you most excited to try? (Tell us in the comments below!)Print
- 1 cup farro, uncooked
- 3 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups thickly sliced onions (cut vertically)
- 12 ounces peeled butternut squash sliced into small pieces about 1/8-inch thick
- 1 large green apple (we used Granny Smith), peeled and diced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (or ½ tablespoon dry)
- 5 ounces baby kale, or Tuscan kale that has been cut up into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup Romano cheese, plus additional for serving
- In a medium sauce pan, place farro and two cups of the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, cover and cook 45-60 minutes depending on how you like it cooked. (We like ours with a little bit of chew and took ours off the heat at 50 minutes.)
- While farro is cooking, in a large skillet over medium low heat, melt butter and add onions. Cook, turning occasionally until they are cooked and just starting to brown.
- Add squash, apple, and sage and sautee; over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add last cup of vegetable stock and cook only until squash is tender (Do not overcook. You want the squash to hold its shape and not melt into the dish).
- Add kale, cranberries and Romano cheese and toss just until combined and kale is starting to wilt. (No more than 2 or 3 minutes). Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Serve with additional Romano cheese sprinkled over the top.
You may also like: