This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Preparing a special home-cooked meal of one of my favorite dishes – like Chicken Marsala – is just one way that my husband Jack likes to spoil me.
Now – I know what you’re probably thinking… How much more spoiled can she get being married to a food blogger who loves to cook! And you’re right – I am wonderfully spoiled having a husband who cooks our dinners 99% of the time – blog or no blog!
But the truth is – Chicken Marsala is one of those dishes that I absolutely love…but it’s not one of Jack’s favorites. In the past, he’s had some not-so-great versions of Chicken Marsala at restaurants where we’ve eaten, and it’s been very disappointing. Marsala wine is a very sweet, uniquely-flavored wine and it can be overpowering in this dish unless it’s balanced with other ingredients.
So all the more reason for him to tackle making this own homemade version – using boneless chicken breasts, pancetta, shallots, mushrooms and a wonderful sauce that is flavored with Marsala wine, oregano, chicken stock, and butter. The chicken comes out tender and smothered in a rich, flavorful and a perfectly balanced salty-sweet sauce that makes me want to lick my plate clean!
And what about Jack? Well, I’m happy to report that today’s recipe has made him a Chicken Marsala fan again. And we hope you love this recipe too!
Interested in more chicken recipes?
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- 1½ pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast (2 large or 4 small)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta diced small
- 1/3 cup shallots diced
- 12 ounces porcini or cremini mushrooms, quartered
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- 2/3 cup Marsala wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Additional salt and pepper if needed
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Lay breasts out on cutting board and pound with a meat mallet to ¼ inch thick. If you started with two large breasts, cut in half after pounding out to correct thickness so you end up with four portions.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a pie plate or similar size dish with sides.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium high.
- Once oil is hot, dredge chicken breasts in flour, shake off excess and place in hot oil. Four pieces should fit comfortably in a large 14 inch pan.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through. Remove to a platter.
- With a paper towel, carefully wipe out any burned flour that has accumulated in bottom of hot pan.
- Keep burner on medium high and add pancetta. Cook until crisp stirring often.
- Add shallots and cook for two minutes then add mushrooms and oregano. Cook mushrooms for three minutes and add wine. Cook for just one minute and add stock. Cook this down for two minutes to reduce by about half.
- Lower burner to medium low and stir in butter until dissolved into sauce. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Add chicken back in along with any drippings from the platter. Push breasts down into sauce and cook gently for about two minutes.
- To serve, top with chopped parsley.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: