If you are a regular reader of A Family Feast, then you know by now that my husband Jack loves to experiment in the kitchen! So when a recipe calls for a special ingredient or sauce, like Sweet and Sour Sauce in our Beef Calzones recipe, more often than not – Jack will decide to make his own version!
And I’m not complaining at all! This sweet and sour sauce is better than any jarred or bottled version that I’ve had. And it was surprisingly easy and quick to make – and chances are, you probably have most of the ingredients in your own kitchen already!
This homemade sweet and sour sauce is a blend of white and brown sugars, agave nectar (you could substitute corn syrup if you can’t find agave nectar), rice vinegar, pineapple juice, soy sauce, ketchup and corn starch. Mix the ingredients together in a sauce pan, heat until thick and you’re done!
We used this sweet and sour sauce in the filling as well as for a dipping sauce with our beef calzones, and it is delicious and versatile for any other recipe that calls for sweet and sour sauce.
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup agave nectar (corn syrup may be substituted)
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- 1 6-ounce can pineapple juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Put all ingredients in a medium sauce pan and stir to dissolve the corn starch.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thick. Cool before serving.
- Store any leftover sauce in the refrigerator for up to weeks.
You may also like: