Caesar salads are a popular classic salad made from romaine lettuce and croutons, then topped with Parmesan cheese and a zesty dressing typically made with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and a variety of seasonings – plus a raw egg to give the dressing a creamy texture.
But eating uncooked or undercooked eggs can pose some health risks – and because of that, most people these days don’t make a Caesar salad with the traditionally-prepared dressing.
So today, we’re sharing a recipe for Egg-Free Caesar Dressing – and it gives you all of the same creaminess as the version made with egg – plus incredible flavor!
This Egg-Free Caesar Dressing gets its flavor and creaminess from oven-roasted garlic, rendered bacon fat and parmesan cheese – plus a host of other ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen cupboard.
This recipe is similar to the egg-free Caesar dressings that my husband Jack made when working in professional food service kitchens – and now you can make it at home!
P.S. This Egg-Free Caesar Dressing is also a great marinade for chicken!
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 can anchovy filets, drained
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Trim the top off the head of garlic and place it in a doubled sheet of aluminum foil. Pour the one tablespoon of oil over the cut top, wrap the sides of the foil up and pinch closed.
- Roast for one hour.
- In a blender, squeeze out the roasted garlic from the skins and discard the skins. Add all other ingredients and puree for one minute, or until completely blended.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Note: Mixture thickens when chilled. When ready to use, bring to room temperature and pour over cut romaine, croutons and additional Parmesan cheese for a delicious Caesar salad.
- Also, this mixture makes a great marinade. Just spread over boneless chicken and seal in a zip lock bag overnight. The next day grill chicken on your outdoor grill.
You may also like: