Today we’re sharing a delicious recipe for Roasted Root Vegetables as Part 2 of our Dinner Party Series. This hearty and satisfying side dish was served to us during a wonderful dinner party that we had last month at the house of our long-time friends Sandi and David.
Sandi and David eat a mostly vegetarian diet, so they are experts in cooking inspired and flavorful meals without meat, and this medley of roasted root vegetables was among the best we’ve had!
This recipe roasts celery root (something I had never eaten before!), purple and orange carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, golden beets, white potatoes, onions and garlic together in the oven until the vegetables are tender and caramelized.
But what really elevates this dish to a whole new level is the addition of currants which lend sweetness and texture to the caramelized vegetables. They are also a perfect complement to the other seasonings and herbs used while roasting these earthy root vegetables. Enjoy!
- 1 pound celery root peeled and cut into large bite sized pieces
- ½ pound purple carrots, unpeeled, ends removed, washed and cut into large bite-sized pieces
- ½ pound parsnips, unpeeled, ends removed, washed and cut into large bite-sized pieces
- ½ pound sweet potato, peeled and cut into large bite-sized pieces
- ½ pound golden beets, ends and blemishes removed but leaving the rest unpeeled, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- ¼ pound washed carrots peel left on, ends removed and cut into large bite-sized pieces
- ¾ pound all-purpose or new red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound onion, peeled, ends removed and cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 6 whole peeled garlic cloves
- ¼ cup currants
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Note: you can use any combination of root vegetables you wish as long as they total approximately four pounds.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until well combined and all of the vegetables are completely covered in olive oil and herbs. Pour the mixture onto a large sheet pan or roasting pan in a single layer.
- Roast for 20 minutes without stirring. Flip vegetables over and roast for 20 more minutes. Flip again and roast for the final 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from oven and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
See the rest of our Dinner Party Series: