This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A number of years ago, I worked near a fantastic restaurant called The New England Soup Factory. As you can probably guess by the name, this place was known for its delicious, award-winning soups – and their sandwiches and salads were pretty terrific too! At any given lunch-hour, the lines were out the door with customers waiting to enjoy one of the soups of the day.
So I was thrilled when the owner, Marjorie Drucker, published The New England Soup Factory Cookbook which features recipes for some of the restaurant’s most popular soups! Thanks to that great cookbook – we could (finally!) recreate some of those amazing soups at home, including this Carrot and Ginger Soup recipe!
Like all of the soups served at The New England Soup Factory, this carrot and ginger soup is perfection in a bowl – and this recipe is very easy to make too! The carrots are first sautéed in butter along with garlic, onions and celery and fresh ginger and then cooked in vegetable stock until tender. Addition flavor is added thanks to honey, coriander and ginger – then the mixture is pureed until smooth, and cream is added to give this wonderful vegetable soup a smooth and silky consistency!
The balance of flavors between the carrots and the ginger is absolutely perfect – with the sweetness of the carrots balanced by a gentle, spicy heat from the fresh ginger! This is one of those soups where you’ll be tempted to lick the bowl…it’s that good! It’s also such a pretty soup – this would be perfect for a holiday brunch or other springtime gathering!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 large ribs celery chopped or sliced (about one cup)
- 3 pounds carrots peeled and diced or sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Candied ginger and finely julienned carrots for garnish, optional
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium high heat, add garlic, onion, celery, carrots and ginger. Cook stirring often for ten minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook about 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and add coriander, ground ginger and honey. With an emulsion blender, puree until smooth. Add cream, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Reheat slightly and serve. Garnish with candied ginger and finely julienned carrots if desired.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: