We developed this White Bean and Kale Dip as part of a sponsored post for Shaws Supermarkets and WhiteWave Foods. All opinions are 100% mine.
April is Earth Month, and today we’re joining in on the conversation to help drive awareness of healthier eating and being environmentally conscious!
If you’re a regular reader here at A Family Feast, then you know that my husband Jack and I have been making some big shifts in our personal diets – choosing healthier foods to eat, but still creating delicious recipes like today’s White Bean and Kale Dip. We’re also choosing to purchase foods that are responsibly-produced, and we’re including them in our recipes whenever possible.
This White Bean and Kale Dip is a great example of one of our healthier recipes, and it takes just minutes to prepare. Creamy puréed white cannellini beans are mixed together with sautéed garlic and shallots plus other seasonings. Next, we wilted some Earthbound Farms Kale Italia – a delicious mix of baby kale, arugula and radicchio – and stirred that into the bean and shallot purée before chilling. When ready to serve, we drizzled a little extra virgin olive oil on top, plus a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
More than thirty years ago, Earthbound Farms got its start as a backyard garden in Carmel Valley with a commitment to organic farming. Today, Earthbound Farms has nearly 50,000 acres of certified organic farmland, and they sustainably farm with an ongoing commitment to keeping synthetic chemicals out of the environment.
We bought all of the ingredients for this White Bean and Kale Dip at our local Shaws supermarket, where in addition to the Earthbound Farm Kale Italia we used in today’s recipe, you’ll also find other Earthbound Farm Salads, Frozen Fruits and Frozen Vegetables.
WhiteWave is celebrating Earth Month with their “Every Cart Counts” promotion. WhiteWave will be visiting Shaws supermarkets (as well as other participating stores), searching for customers with Earthbound Farms, Silk, So Delicious, Simply Pure, Horizon and Vega™ brand products in their cart! If they spot your cart – you could have your entire grocery cart paid for – courtesy of WhiteWave!
- 1 5-ounce package Earthbound Farm Kale Italia (a mix of baby kale, arugula and radicchio)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium shallot minced, about ⅓ cup
- 1½ teaspoons fresh garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Herbs De Provence
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans white cannellini beans, drained
- Extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Crackers, for serving
- Cut any large stems from the kale into small pieces and coarsely chop the remaining mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium to large skillet over medium heat, add the ¼ cup of olive oil and once hot, add shallots, garlic, Herbs De Provence, cumin, salt and pepper and sauté until the shallots are tender, about 4-5 minutes. Remove this mixture to a bowl to cool.
- Add two tablespoons of oil to the same pan and once hot, add kale mixture. Cook to wilt, about 2-3 minutes. Remove to cool.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add drained beans and pulse until pureed almost smooth. A few small pieces left are fine.
- Add cooled shallot and oil mixture and pulse just to combine.
- Pour mixture out into a medium bowl and stir in cooked kale to combine.
- Refrigerate until chilled and to serve, pour into a serving bowl and swirl the top, then pour a little olive oil into the swirls and finally grate some fresh Parmesan over the top and serve with your favorite crackers.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Safeway. The opinions and text are all mine.