- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a standard-sized, 12-muffin tin with paper liners. Generously spray each liner with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal and buttermilk and stir to mix. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the egg whites until slightly frothy. Add the sugar and beat on high for 1 minute. Stir in the cornmeal buttermilk mixture and mix just enough to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture and the corn kernels to the mixing bowl with the egg -sugar-cornmeal mixture and using a rubber spatula, stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix or the muffins will be tough.)
- Spoon the batter into the 12 tins. (It’s OK to fill the tins right to the top.) Place a teaspoon of Tomato Jam (or other preserves) in the center of the batter of each muffin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden and center of the muffins springs back when gently pressed.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and cool on a metal rack for 10-15 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the edges of each muffin (if necessary) and ease out of the muffin tin onto a rack.
- Serve immediately with melted butter and more Tomato Jam.